Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polearm Tank: Is it possible?

Default Polearm Tank: Is it possible?

I think its understood that sword and shield will give you a better tank in general.BUT I'm mega tired of DT's doing their insane dps and tanking better then guardians.

So, is there a build that you can think of that will be a hybrid sword &shieldlesque but still use a polearm? Or is pole arm just good for PvP?

From what I've heard Fate tanks polearm and doesn't have issues with agro generation and taking the hits. I'm guessing you would need to be geared etc but that's nothing new and doesn't change whether you tank polearm or sword and board on the high end content.

Tempest can tank almost as good as jugger and will do as much burst damage as dps classes in frenzy. But you'd be lacking in sustained damage so can't really compete against dps classes on parses (unlike other soldiers).

Also polearm is very much easier to tank with, maybe even too much. Shield might have higher potential but it's harder to get there.

edit: Something like this http://is.gd/9UZn8b
    Last edited by cins; 20th March 2013 at 23:44.

Higher potential no, not with the base damage of polearm scaling so much better.

Cins build is not bad, but with multi spec options available there is no reason to go for both Stone and Iron skin at the same time. The few rare hybrid bosses don't hit hard enough either way to justify keeping those points for defensive purposes. Also Subterfuge is.. not good. Lightning Reflexes is in the same boat. While the bonuses from its use are good (and potentially hazardous to you) for retaining aggro, getting there with those wasted points becomes the issue.
    Last edited by Midge50; 21st March 2013 at 00:58.

Definitely possible and several builds for pole tank are in this thread - http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180499

i prefer 100% polearm with tempest/general build to solo PvE, but use sword and shield for group PvE though, and ive seen tanks with polearm...so its useful in PvP and PvE imo

I Tank full T4 with this build

http://is.gd/Fj6s0g

My gear is pretty much t3/khitai and some major of t4 now.

S&S is really good too, but I have alot more fun with pole tbh.

Guardians have the lowest sustained dps in the game - no matter how hard you will try you will not beat any other class in longer fights.

You would have to be in frenzy most of the time to match DTs or Conqs sustained dps in defensive stance.

You can tank all content with polearm, but don't think it will make much difference

The problem here is that the game again blocks content. On a fully tierd3 guard someone who wishes to go polearm can but judging from the builds here anything less and polearm tankers will just die too fast.

And I'm certainly not trying to beat DPS classes or even the DTgodmodehackgminterventionbrokenpleasenerf class. But so that I can strike a balance in contributing damage/keeping aggro/and be upright.

Well, the situation is not that biter. Sure as polearm you might feel that you're a bit squishy to reach a decent aggro.

But as guard you have a huge advantage over conqs and dts, you can switch stratagems in a matter of seconds, so just take advantage of that and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast