Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank... or something else!?

Question New Tank... or something else!?

Hey everyone,

I'm yet another returning player!
    I have 2 lvl 80's with some AA (not much though) and some Khitai gear. Since it's been a while I decided to start fresh though.

I really like the idea of playing Dark Templar, Conqueror, Barbarian and Bear Shaman. I spent the last days browsing the forums (new and old one) and got the impression that pretty much everything depends on AA!?

Since I was planing to try Dark Templar I now wonder if I would be accepted as tank even though I'd really suck in comparison with all these highly upgraded other tanks out there.

I tanked in lots of games and consider myself above average when it comes to tanking. But one thing tanking taught me in almost every MMO so far is that it's depending on your gear. My impression is that in case of AoC it all comes down to AA!?

Long story short: If it's more or less pointless rolling a new tank I'd be willing to try something new... like Bear Shaman? I like AoC's healing concept.

Thanks in advance!

don´t worry, as a DT you´ll be depending on gear as well (to make that VoM perk show its full potential)

tanks are the classes that has the slowest progression, both in skill and gear...
    at least, if you want to play mostly pve, a dt can be useful as dps too, with the right gear and spec, and start to be a proper tank when he's got enough gear, experience and aa...

other than that, bs is a lot of fun too, but it's not the easiest class around either...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Like yawg said, tanks are the most gear/AA dependant classes, but both DT and Conq can do a great job as great dpsers and off-tanks until they get enough "confidence" to tank themselves.

Barbarian is fun, but Conqueror feels like an upgraded version - can wear heavier armour, but doesn't loose any dps. Barbarians need some love.

BS is the best class of course

Edited by Arishanya. Flaming/Trolling is against the Social Guidelines.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 20th March 2013 at 17:21.

Any decent guild will be more than happy to train up an "above average" tank.

Tanks tend to get stuck tanking most the time so always looking for a relief.

Any soldier will do a good job of tanking if done right, just bear in mind there are a lot of DTs around.

Also, make a BS, best class in game and quite possibly the most useful in a group (after tank). Just isn't played much due to its complexities.

Soldiers are the most gear-dependent archetype out there, but DT has the worst of it, in particular compared to conq:

* DT has relavitely poor aggro tools compared to both guard and conq. A DT's aggro mostly comes from his damage, which in turn depends in large part on his crit chance (due to the buffs from the Void of Madness perk, which proc when you score a critical hit). Hence a DT with poor gear makes a poor tank in terms of aggro generation;

* Similarly, DT has few survivability tools compared to other soldiers. Your survivability is tied to your life taps, which in turn work best when you do lots of damage - see above.

As an undergeared DT, your most important contribution to tanking will most likely be your Dread Shadow (which unlike you will find it easy to take aggro from the main tank).

(Brute) conq by contrast has very good aggro tools as well as bubbles - so as an undergeared conq it is much easier to take aggro and soak up some hits with your bubble, until the main tank has healed up.

So if you want to do some meaningful tanking fast, conq certainly is the better choice than DT. On the other hand, I find DT gameplay quite a bit more complex and engaging than conq, so I'd advise you to nevertheless stick with DT and be patient

P.S.: As has been said before, Bear Shaman is a fantastic class. If you feel like trying something other than a tank, try either BS or HoX.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far! I'm not afraid of hard-to-play classes. So Bear Shaman might be worth a try.

Do groups in general accept DT's as DPS "while they are gearing up" for the tanking job?

Since I don't really know anybody ingame yet I might depend on random groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Selescion View Post
    Do groups in general accept DT's as DPS "while they are gearing up" for the tanking job?

Since I don't really know anybody ingame yet I might depend on random groups.
    Possibly, but not likely. They can't switch a DPS or healer over to tank in cloth armor with -hate gear.

On a positive note - you should be able to stay alive okay (I did in crafted blue gear) and good raids find ways to deal with undergeared tanks. As a healer or DPS, I always looked at the tanks gear if I had time while the raid was forming up and adjusted my DPS or heals.

If you are pugging, I'd just let the raid leader know that you've been away for a while. I don't think any raids up to T3 require 6 tanks, so you don't have to be the #1 guy. 6-man's often have less cushion as you need certain class's special abilities and you often need either a solid tank or 2 decent ones.

I'm a returning player myself, although I only got to level 30 myself and quit playing about 2 months after release.

Give Yemenda (my 22 assassin) a tell or friends request in game and we can group up when we reach the dungeon levels. From my experience it's extremely difficult to find friends in a new game unless you're high level and in a guild. I know an assassin isn't the ideal partner to group with but if you are thinking of starting a tank I will probably start a BS. I've played a healer in every mmo game I've ever played so I'm sure I'll start one sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by kaliclause79 View Post
    I'm a returning player myself, although I only got to level 30 myself and quit playing about 2 months after release.

Give Yemenda (my 22 assassin) a tell or friends request in game and we can group up when we reach the dungeon levels. From my experience it's extremely difficult to find friends in a new game unless you're high level and in a guild. I know an assassin isn't the ideal partner to group with but if you are thinking of starting a tank I will probably start a BS. I've played a healer in every mmo game I've ever played so I'm sure I'll start one sooner or later.
    What server do you play on?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast