Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PVP Revival

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan77 View Post
    THE BASIS OF REVIVING PVP IS ''TAKING PVE OUT OF IT''
    Yes. Although maybe the basis of reviving PVP is getting PVEers into it?

If you made Bori (or something) instead give compelling PVE rewards, then PVEers -- i.e., most of the playerbase -- might be willing to PVP to reach it. And even if PVPers showed up for a fight and found none, they would at least have the consolation of unfettered access to prime PVE rewards.
    Last edited by Prima; 22nd March 2013 at 16:12.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

About the T4+ gear issue, i think Funcom did say that there would not be anything more powerful than T4 in terms of stats, and that from now on stats would only be a trade off on gear.

So just a nerf on T4 gear PvP wise would do the trick i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    M8 i dont know what game you have been playing but saying that it takes half year or more doing minis to get pvp 5 is silly.
    I just started sin recently and doing only minis. Got to lvl 3 in 50 minis or so. Not 50 wins but 50 minis.
    I got to pvp 2 in couple of days, and yes it is that fast.
    Getting to lvl 4 is uber fast, than to 5 just regular fast and than it gets bit slower.
    OK I get you.

In the entire time I have played since my return I have been in 1 mini and the other team bailed. That's probably why.

50 minis sounds nice. I did about 80 minis when I was around before, but I was a stupid newb that didn't take the quests, or even know about em until it was too late lol, so I'll concede.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    Yes. Although maybe the basis of reviving PVP is getting PVEers into it?
    The hardcore PvPers even complain about the casual PvPers. They're a ball of rage when it comes to PvEers PvPing. Very little acceptance of varying levels of skill and motivation.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 22nd March 2013 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by kandreas View Post
    OK I get you.

In the entire time I have played since my return I have been in 1 mini and the other team bailed. That's probably why.

50 minis sounds nice. I did about 80 minis when I was around before, but I was a stupid newb that didn't take the quests, or even know about em until it was too late lol, so I'll concede.
    Well i assure you that reaching lvl 4 and 5 is pretty fast. And after that you have some gear to get you going. And if you do pve in khitai you can get some nice gear and do good in minis even as pvp 0.
    After pvp 5 progress is slowed down and it takes some effort and a lot minis to get higher pvp ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by NavinRJohnson View Post
    The hardcore PvPers even complain about the casual PvPers. They're a ball of rage when it comes to PvEers PvPing. Very little acceptance of varying levels of skill and motivation.
    First off - I do not PvP. So don't get@me ok? But I've seen similar comments made recently like the above regarding PvE as well. The vet players not wanting to take the time or have the patience to deal with the newer/less experienced players.

So it sounds to me like there is a trend - vets not wanting to help the new guys/casual players.

If the attitude/outlook from the vets changed, would this help get more players involved? Forget the gear dependency and imbalance for a second. Because that is something Funcom has to change. But the player base changing their approach is something that can be done now by everyone, which requires no wait time for code to be developed and tested before being implemented.

Does this make sense? Or is this not even a true factor for PvP?
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    First off - I do not PvP. So don't get@me ok? But I've seen similar comments made recently like the above regarding PvE as well. The vet players not wanting to take the time or have the patience to deal with the newer/less experienced players.

So it sounds to me like there is a trend - vets not wanting to help the new guys/casual players.

If the attitude/outlook from the vets changed, would this help get more players involved? Forget the gear dependency and imbalance for a second. Because that is something Funcom has to change. But the player base changing their approach is something that can be done now by everyone, which requires no wait time for code to be developed and tested before being implemented.

I feel like it would make a difference.

Just because it's a "brutal, bloody" world in-game doesn't mean there isn't a metagame at work here too. If defeating other players requires having players to beat, then encouraging and even training new PVPers is a victory condition. There's more we could do as a community to make that happen.

The most hardcore PVPer in this game isn't a fraction as hardcore as a professional sports player. Yet even they participate in "friendly" matches with self-imposed limits; share or fund training camps; market the sport shoulder-to-shoulder; etc. They may hate each other to the point of violence, but they share an interest in the sport succeeding. That's not always true here. E.g., Tyranny had a tongue-in-cheek sticky for a long time with page after page of reasons why playing there was terrible. Problem? People read it.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

1) PVP needs more minigame maps for 6vs6 or 12vs12
    2) In order to make arenas work you need to make a que like the minigame que for 1vs1,2vs2 and 3vs3 where you can signup with friends. Winnings in the arena should provide both minigame tokens,xp and Bori tokens. Also there could be a public list of achievemts for every 'gladiator'. Spectators should also be enabled
    Agree

3) Remove PVE gear from PVP entirely. T1 PVP gear should be free to use without the pvp lvl requirements.
    Dont agree, PvP gear is competitive, PvE gear is fine in PvP, without it PvE raids would suffer as all PvP players would feel less motivated (I like raids but would never do them if i couldnt use gear in PvP).

4) Add more pvp gear (weapons included) of same lvl item badget (for example a BS could go for more CR or armor and heal rating)
    5) Add more PVP rings, necklace and cloaks with different item stats as to give the pvper a variety of options without the need of PVE
    Yes we need more content and things to work for

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    First off - I do not PvP. So don't get@me ok? But I've seen similar comments made recently like the above regarding PvE as well. The vet players not wanting to take the time or have the patience to deal with the newer/less experienced players. There also isn't enough new players to further segment the pvp content into different tiers.

I absolutely do not agree that the "vets" bear any responsibility for "training/helping" new players. The fact is that in order to maintain a healthy population you have to have a adequate number of new players and vets. New players can group together and vets can group together.

Aoc just simply does not have a healthy population. It's heavily skewed towards vets and due to the huge AA/Gear mountain to even be competitive, the game is not new player friendly, thus many quit as they get to end game content.

By design, this game has huge flaws in progression and will never be more than a niche game for a small group of bitter vets unless fundamental changes are made to even the playing field between vets and new players and reductions are made to end game gear/AA requirements.

Is it ever going to happen? Probably not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo
    Last edited by twinklez3; 22nd March 2013 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    I feel like it would make a difference.

Just because it's a "brutal, bloody" world in-game doesn't mean there isn't a metagame at work here too. If defeating other players requires having players to beat, then encouraging and even training new PVPers is a victory condition. There's more we could do as a community to make that happen.

The most hardcore PVPer in this game isn't a fraction as hardcore as a professional sports player. Yet even they participate in "friendly" matches with self-imposed limits; share or fund training camps; market the sport shoulder-to-shoulder; etc. They may hate each other to the point of violence, but they share an interest in the sport succeeding. That's not always true here. E.g., Tyranny had a tongue-in-cheek sticky for a long time with page after page of reasons why playing there was terrible. Problem? People read it.
    Hmmmh, if a new player wants to improve in PvP it's rather easy if you aren't completly out of social skills to find some experrience players to help you out.

Sure, part of the PvP community is immature and loud mouthed, but if you are mature enough to ignore (literally or not) those few people it's not that bad. I don't mind at all helping players intrested in PvP. But if they don't have the shoulders for tough beginings it's their job to organise things themselves.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast