Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current Minigame system - yey or ney?

Default Current Minigame system - yey or ney?

Thread pasted from EU boards as it's still relevant and I wish to know what US thinks of current minigames.

=================

Wall of text. Be advised.
    Don't want to read? Then skipp to the botton for summary

" I still cannot understand the decision to the remove the premade groups from the pvp que in order to make it "noobie" friendly. It does nothing (just like goggles on a cat). The majority of pvp games are still played the old school way: one side has crushing advantage over the other and the whole thing ends up in bloody mess. The only difference is that GOOD games are very rare now days. What do I mean by good games? Competitve matches between two well balanced, well coordinated groups. I had those games back in the premade days when my team was matched against other premade, or better yet: other guild. This was fun on so many levels: the social aspect, the competitiveness and the tactical coordination between group members.

Now days random minigames end up mostly in:

1/ one group crushes other and farms them for 20 minutes on the respad
    2/ one group crushes other and then runs the flags asap
    3/ one group farms kills while the other runs flags

Really, all it takes to be farmed HARD is having 1-2 people in your group that are pvp lvl 1-3.
    It is very rare to have a struggle between two groups. Needless to say the randomness of the groups and the perceived anonymity of the Internet encourages jackass behavior. The very second anything goes wrong in the game people are ranting about how "everyone sucks" and "**** you's" are exchanged freely. I NEVER had this problem with premades: we fought together and either claimed victory or suffered the defeat. We have shared happy moments and bitter taste of the lose, but I was never verbally abused by a team mate. Now days it is a common and my /ignore list is quite long.

Some will say: but Slith, premades are still possible, why don't you go do that? And I will say: it is a cumbersome system that makes you work hard for exactly same rewards as regular games. I like the minigames because it is a easy, convenient system.
    I do want: get 1-2 friends on vent, jump into minis and have a blast
    I do not want: to spend 30 minutes putting together a group and then finding other group that have spent same time preparing. If you are THAT LUCKY to have other 11 people ready to go. It's just bad and that is why no one is using it. Oh believe me: I CHECK the premade tab on daily basis just to make sure whether there is a group that is waiting for a challenge and there is never a one. And for a good reason I might add: if there is a system put into game and that system is not used then who's fault is that? Players or the Devs? I would say the Devs have created content that is utter most repulsive to the players. Players, not matter how many people post how they "enjoy pvp for the sake of pvp" generally want a carrot on the stick to keep playing. If there is no reward for more time consuming content (putting together premades) then people simply won't be using it. Make it good and we will come.

But I can manage that. The real problem is this:

A nasty side effect of premades removal is a total isolation of pvper in terms of social interaction. Back in the days of premades I knew tons of people that I was grouping with on a regular basis for PVP. Now days I hardly know people in my guild and the only AOC friends that I interact with are people on twitter/facebook and members of Assassin's Hideout community. I want to befriend people in the game, but I simply don't have opportunity to do so as PVPer (or very little).I do a PVE grouping from time to time, but those are few and far between. PVP is my bread and butter and there is simply no venue for social interaction withing current PVP content (unless you are considering strangers calling you names a "desirable social scenario"). This isolation of PVPers have lead to many of them leaving the game which only reduced the pool of people that I interact with inside AOC. THIS is my main woe when it comes to current state of the game: I don't get to be social in the context that I want. Yes, I can socialize while doing raids/dungeons but I don't want to do that content. Yes, I can do PVP content which I love, but at the same time I don't get to socialize at all. I miss the days of crazy ventrillo talks between minigames when me and my team mates we were talking over previous games and planing the next one. This aspect of game was taken from me and I miss is dearly".

Also the very idea that the change was based on is simply absurd: to make the pvp more accessible for casual pvpers. Should casual pvpers be granted priority over dedicated pvpers ON PVP SERVER?
    If you cannot win games with random people then perhaps get your own premade. If you cannot beat the dungeon with a PUG then perhaps get your guildies instead?
    This is as absurd as asking for T4 be nerfed for casual raiders.

So I propose this:

Old Minigame sign up for Fury and Rage
    Current Minigame sign up for CROM

If you want casual PVP experience then go to CROM (and I don't mean that as an insult it's ok to enjoy casual minigame from time to time). Want the savage bloody pvp? Fury or Rage.

This single change would bring players back and *gasp* perhaps even PVP GUILDS

The other solotion is possibly creating some kind of buff to make risk vs reward a little more favorable for premades

Buff name: Tournament's Challenge

+25% buff to pvp xp gained
    +10% buff to prowness gained

Quests:

There are new quests apart from current ones

Winning a minigame:
    +10 silver
    +10 conquest toknens

We all know Sillirion's stance on this issue as it was he made the change and he was unwilling to make any tweaks to it.

What JB thinks of this? Yey or ney Mr. Game Director?
    Last edited by Slith; 15th March 2013 at 22:03.
    Retired

it doesnt change the fact that premades are most likely the same so thats how minigames work
    PS. some guilds/premades are way abowe others so it would be cryfest?

Ney, we have already premade signup on Fury.

Premades are fun against premades. A pug rarely has a chance against a premade.
    Only reason to want to premade against a pug, is the will to dominate and farm. I remember how it was when we had old signup.

why make a difference between fury and the rest? Oo

There are more then enough pvpers on "PvE" Servers. After 4-5 Years ppl still think there is really a difference between pvp and pve Servers besides the open world pvp? Its the same game. Funcom should have named their servers alöl the same only Fury and rage with "OWP" Open World PvP.

Choosing a pve server over PvP doesnt mean i am not interested or bad in PvP, i just dont like funcoms concept of open world pvp or more likely the comunity using it. i played most of my time in aoc on pvp servers and the so called open world pvpers were attacking when ppl cant defend themselfs most of the times. some may like that, i think something like this is just stupid and only weak characters need to boost their ego with this. Of course not everyone on a pvp server plays like this.

To get to the point of again: Minigame PvP is the same on ALL servers and thats for a reason. dont make more differences in pvp rulesets between the servers if it not only affects open world pvp.

Funcom should give 2 sets of mini game sign ups. Sign up with friends, and pug minis. Both of which give campaign badges. Because I'm not sure how it was on the EU servers 4 years ago, but on the US servers people would put together a group of 6 players, and sign up to a mini together, and just sit there and rez pad camp a pug mini team, and would make you wait the full duration of the mini, and would never end the mini game. This caused a lot of people (myself included) to just stop playing the game, since the majority of the time you'd lose simply because you had 6 people working together in vent, and dominating the PVP scene.

However the current system sucks to, because you are forced to play with players you a lot of the time would never play with. And everyone has different goals. Some people want to just PVP, and don't care about winning the match. Others want to run the flag and get their campaign badge.

To be honest, the current system I feel presents tension among the players. I know I myself even have told friends off due to mini game scenarios. These scenarios would never have occurred in the first place had we had the capability to sign up together from the start.

If they were to put together the option of doing both, pug mini games AND team mini games, both giving campaign badges. On those days where people have 6 players on their team and are working together to roll mini games, people wouldn't be forced to continue to fighting that premade team. They could simply switch over to pug mini games, and the premade 6 man team can either keep looking to fight teams of people working together, or revert to pug minis should the group minis not pop.

just let premade minis give awards to like pug minis. why should i play with a premade when i cant do any progress while doing so? its just ridiciulus that i will be punished if i want to play with friends against friends...

As if someone really would exploit this or cant do this in pugs to. YOu need 12 ppl to exploit premade minis and you need 12 ppl to do so in pugs. if 2 groups sign up pug minis, no one else will hinder them and even if 1 or 2 ppl sign up to, what can they do? XD

I didn't mean to imply that there are no PVPers on PVE server nor that they are somehow worst. I meant it only like for a test period to see which system is more popular. Sure, the minigame system should be universal for all servers.

I see some of you got the very core idea of this post: it's about community, socializing, playing with friends. I miss that aspect.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by spunq View Post
    PS. some guilds/premades are way abowe others so it would be cryfest?
    That.
    I remember stopping playing on Fury with my sin back in the days because in evenings i couldn't join any mini without having a massive groupe leave when people saw what team they had in front.

So sure, i would enjoy being able to sign with a few friends in minis but still, i can't forget the above experrience.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

so pretty much it boils down to the question:

what needs to change for people to start creating premades and fighting each others.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    just let premade minis give awards to like pug minis. why should i play with a premade when i cant do any progress while doing so?
    You get full rewards from tournament mode. Campaign badge and exp. Big misconception you don't get any rewards in current tournament mode, you already do!

About Slith's proposal, I don't want to see any changed based on Crom/Fury/Rage differences.

Rather make incentive to sign tournament mode with guild also I like the idea to give conquest trophies to win tournament mode games!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast