Thread: What to Do First as a New Player

Default What to Do First as a New Player

This is a list of what a new player can look into when he starts playing.

1. Press F10, go to interface options, and enable the PvP XP bar to see how you progress through PvP levels.
    2. Join minigames when you hit level 6. For that, click the topmost-left corner, select the PvP tab, and click any queue you see with numbers above 0. If no one is queued, use Hallowed Vaults or Lost Temple - they are good maps to learn first.
    3. Download a custom UI. I suggest Stonerune UI from http://curse.com . Download AoC UI Installer to set it up.
      Do not forget to send regards or gold to Shahir if you have a spare coin.
    4. Press F10 and bind keys to your abilities. Start early to learn them faster.
    5. To find a group for a dungeon, you can use public channels. A usual group setup includes 1 main tank, 1 offtank, 1 healer, 3 random classes. Tanks are soldiers, healers are priests, and others are DPS classes.
      Alternatively, press the topmost-left button and select "Players". Enter the range needed and check who is online to message them.
    6. Find a guild after you leave Tortage. It gives you increase in power, some new quests, and other additional interesting things. T3 city with renown 20 has all the benefits.
    7. Press F10, and unbind the SHIFT+1/SHIFT+2 keys to remove annoying scrolling when you run and hit people.
    8. Shift+R switches weapons. Try to master it!
    9. You can create raids in Tortage. For that, invite a person or several persons, right-click the topmost-left button and select "convert to raid". You can invite more people by typing /raidinvite or right-clicking the person.
    10. SHIFT+clicking abilities or peopls in chat gives additional information. The same with Tainted Alkahest (a potion to remove gems).
    11. Gather resources and sell them in packs of 50-100 to earn money.
    12. The first dungeon is Black Castle in Khopshepf Province. You can go there at level 27-28.
    13. F10-> Interface Options. "Enable Target's Target" is absolutely necessary to enable! With this, you see whom a monster is targeting!
    14. As a caster class, you can move all your directional attacks to unused action bar slots.

Q&A part:

1. Q: I push enter, but another window gets focused.
      A: Select the tab that you wish to open by default, right-click the title and select "Default".

Comments? Please continue the list!
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 13th March 2013 at 05:39.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

A new player shouldn't sign up for a mini as soon as they hit lvl 6. Definitely wait until you're more comfortable with your class and the game in general before doing that.

A custom UI is completely unnecessary. You can set the left slots to hotkeys (which you should), use your alt bar (hold Alt and another bar will appear while it is held, so you can have alt+1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. I suggest not binding anything important past whatever is comfortable to each easily), and bind the floating bar slots to keys. There is more than enough room to bind every important ability on every class with standard UI.

Personally these are the things in the interface settings I always change:

under Basic tab, from the top down-

Uncheck "Enable clicking on ground to clear target"
    Uncheck "Automatically sheathe your weapon when not attacked anymore" (Drawing your weapon is a good thing even as a caster, in case you ever need to doubletap)
    Check "Disable hotbar switching when running"
    Set the "chat window opacity" for both active and inactive to 70%+
    Set "Camera follow mode" to "Never"

Under Nametags tab check "show vicinity player names/healthbars/details/levels". These are very important to easily see who is who, and who has what health left. EXTREMELY important if you plan on PvPing.

Under HUD-
    Check "Enable PvP experience bar"
    Check "Show target's current target"
    Check "Show team debuffs"
    Enable 1 or both additional hotbars, depending on how many you need

There's really absolutely no reason to create a raid on tortage or at all until level 80. You can do it just to see how it's done, but it's unnecessary which I think needs to be clarified.

You can customize the chat boxes a lot, which I always do. I like to have a tab for all combat, one for my own DPS, one for my damage taken (so I can see what I do that hits hard, and what hits me - this is good for learning what you need to avoid and what works well for you), and then one for tells, one for guild chat, one for group/raid, and one for every chat. Customize it how you like, this is just my usual preference and I find it helpful.

Really the most important things to being successful in this game are:
    -Binding every ability that you will use in any combat situation to an easily reachable hotkey (this takes practice to find which are comfortable for you - it's different for everyone) and begin to learn by heart what is bound to where, so you don't need to think about it, and can just react (keybinding everything)
    -Getting used to the movement in the game, turning by holding the right mouse button and not just your keyboard, and getting used to the length of your abilities and when you can move and not be hindered by it. As a melee, you can move while doing any directional attack besides combo finishers, meaning you can load combos while moving and only have to stop for the finisher animation. As a caster, you can move while using instant-cast spells. Generally in PvP you won't want to stand still unless your target is CC'd or is about to die. This is pretty much only important for PvP, but it's extremely important if you DO plan on PvPing. (movement/avoiding getting hit/not keyboard turning)
    -Getting used to the range of your weapon, and canceling your finishers if they pop up in a red box rather than a green box. Your attacks are in a cone that varies depending on your weapon type (and is sometimes modified by certain combo finishers), so get used to using your finisher while your enemy is in that cone. Once you start the animation, the entire finisher will hit, regardless of how far your target runs or even if they run behind you. (landing combos)
    Last edited by Balacai; 12th March 2013 at 16:38.

Acheronian Ruins Epic is really hard with 6 people, so we usually form raids there. Connal's Valley is often filled with raids as well.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Also a quick tip about how to cut off a few seconds from loading screens is to type the following 2 lines into the chat:

/setoption SplashScreenFadeInTime 0
    /setoption SplashScreenFadeOutTime 0

This will remove the fade in/out effect from the loading screens, and can save a few seconds every time you change playfield.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Acheronian Ruins Epic is really hard with 6 people, so we usually form raids there. Connal's Valley is often filled with raids as well.
    Ah right, I forgot you're on EU where there's enough lowbies to form raids and do unnecessary (but good for gear) stuff like epic low level zones :P. Usually on the US servers, if anything, a lvl 80 will run a few lowbies through epic zones to gear them out.

I'd link the file edit info to get on EU if the archives would ever become available ~

The PvP community over there is sick ! And they don't troll each other in Global half as much

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    I'd link the file edit info to get on EU if the archives would ever become available ~

The PvP community over there is sick ! And they don't troll each other in Global half as much

The EU archived forums are available here.
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

enjoy the fatalities
    Last edited by Epicfailprophet; 13th March 2013 at 08:05. Reason: *bubbles*

also sighted drunk in the skies of

- DRAGON'S PROPHET -