Thread: DT tank mana problems

Default DT tank mana problems

Hey guys,

I recently respecced my DT, putting points into pact of malacador and soul barrier. My mana runs out pretty fast even with mystic bane combos and ether reap. I run potions and everything too, any advice on how I can keep my mana up during fights?

Thanks!

Soul barrier should be a toggle. key bind it to something you can push easily.

Dont leave it on constantly your mana will be gone quick.

I usually toggle it off when mana gets to 1/3.. then turn it back on when mana has built up again.

It helps but its not amazing. Has a limit of 120 dmg absorbed per hit.

It is good for dots and smaller hits. but less useful for large boss hits.

If you are getting a dot or 500 dmg hit then it takes off 24%

But if your getting hit for 3000 dmg then it only takes off 4% of the damage.

Basically i usually dont have it on at the start of the fight then if im getting a beating and need a little bit more survivability then i will put on soul barrier

I'm starting to feel like Soul barrier is a bit of a crutch.

When soloing in Khitai now I try and not use it at all and only flip it on as a panic button if I need to run and kite if I accidentally pull adds.

Hopefully this will teach me to life tap better so I can eventually remove mana regen feats from my build. Without Soul Barrier I almost never get close to running out of mana and even then I always carry mana pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Daynan View Post
    I'm starting to feel like Soul barrier is a bit of a crutch.

When soloing in Khitai now I try and not use it at all and only flip it on as a panic button if I need to run and kite if I accidentally pull adds.

Hopefully this will teach me to life tap better so I can eventually remove mana regen feats from my build. Without Soul Barrier I almost never get close to running out of mana and even then I always carry mana pots.
    SB isn't a crutch. It's a great tool. Toggle it off when tanking multiple things, though. Toggle it back on, feat mystical bane and mana taps, and be pro with it.

I know. I'm just saying it "feels" like a crutch.

When soloing with good gear you don't really need it even in Khitai, but there have been times i've been glad to use it. I never run around kara korum crater without it.

With Mystical Bane and mana taps there are still times where fast hitting enemies will reduce your mana to zero and keep it there

Like Harthog said. The value is diminished against tougher enemies, but that's when every little bit counts.

I usually run around khitai in frenzy and let me health taps keep me alive but then you can do that when you have the gear.

Only really turn Soul Barrier on when I really need it, but I dont feat into the extra mana from mythical bane.
    Its good on certain boss fights that either have less frequent large hits, you can basically keep it on and not have mana problems, or small dots, you can turn it on to really negate the damage but you have to keep your eyes glued to that mana bar so you dont run completely out and are unable to throw dread shadow or pact stops going.
    I use it on Kharon in t3 to help with the fire dot and its good for taking the impel dot on Gyas.

Don't like running out of mana cause then pact of malacodor stops working and you do alot less damage.

When fighting multiple mobs, your mana really goes fast, each mob hit will take your mana + each extra mob your hitting will take your mana with pact of malacodor.. its double effect and really drains it. Ive even seen my mana drop rapidly faster then my mana taps just from pact if you can stack enough mobs close enough to hit them all.
    Last edited by Harthorg; 13th March 2013 at 01:49.

Currently using T2 helm for extra mana tap. I wish I could find more mana tap armor items in the game but I'm afraid my chances are rather bleak.
    Last edited by Daynan; 13th March 2013 at 03:12.

As you do more damage, you'll tap more mana and it won't be an issue. Now... tali tanking is another story. Mystical Bane is very nice for that.