Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Boyles - Advanced PVP Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.

start combojumping it equals skipping

I agree, if you miss comboskip that much, go combojump. Gives an edge for those who put the effort in to master it, while making for no imbalance or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by spunq View Post
    start combojumping it equals skipping
    ummmm no it doesnt.

You are right it's more difficult.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Default @Skillweave

Youre first post is quite clever, although i think cancelling comboes last sec to get an extra free hit of dmg isnt right, jumpcombo is pretty 'meh' really, if you jump and can swing a sword IRL then wtf is the complaint.... , I alos think being 600m away from a guard counterweighting or a sin ssX continuing to hit you miles away isnt right , weapon hitboxes are my main issue if you arent in "range" of some daggers then they shouldnt hit you.
    Swords are not 16 metres long.

Again, like i said before, this changed (and not for the better imo) with server "upgrades", a rubberbanding "fix" and a change in synchronizing intervalls. I do not remember getting rubberbanded by a soldiers "charge" back in the middle of 5 enemies before patch 1.6. Also lag happened maybe more often (as crashes, too), but they were predictable and where you ended up after the lag was predictable too (e.g. you could do something like "blind fighting" there). It did not feel like whole seconds of client "happenings" simply disappear, like now.

Blending out the network and engine conditions, something to avoid the "heatseeking polearm" would be a second LoS check (that would work different from arrow or spell LoS though) and a general change of combo finisher damage calculation allowing for better skipping intervalls (with many damage pulses due to animation you could even add more hitbox checks).

I see a crossroads here if you want to keep tactics and action/reaction in pvp:
    - for the fastpaces pvp more fps style like where speed, hardware and connection is essential, the whole engine or networking would need a closer look (disadvantage: less learning curve, stability, high resource demand)
    - for more tactical pvp (not everyones thing, i know!), the game system and the instant feats as well as overall balancing would have to be looked at (disadvantage: longer fights, slower, but more transparent and tactical)

Both not very likely atm, though i read, that the new GD wants to focus on more network stability and speed (which would certainly be good for the first alternative).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 14th March 2013 at 07:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
    Youre first post is quite clever, although i think cancelling comboes last sec to get an extra free hit of dmg isnt right, jumpcombo is pretty 'meh' really, if you jump and can swing a sword IRL then wtf is the complaint.... , I alos think being 600m away from a guard counterweighting or a sin ssX continuing to hit you miles away isnt right , weapon hitboxes are my main issue if you arent in "range" of some daggers then they shouldnt hit you.
    Swords are not 16 metres long.
    If the sin or guard lands the combo finisher on you then the combo will continue to hit you regardless of how far away from them you get on the map, think of how much disadvantage a melee toon would have in PvP if you simply had to move 2 steps backwards when they were locked in a combo animation for a combo that they landed on you and you stopped taking damage. Sure implement that change but to keep it fair then IMO melee toons would need to be able to move as they go through their combo animation so that their weapons remain within range of you which would be fair... of course that means they will be with you and loading up the next combo instead of you being able to create distance but it would be fairer than rooting them in place and stopping their combo damage because someone ran away after they landed their combo finisher on them.

To avoid this, there are two (or three) possibilities:
    - shorten the finisher durations drastically and divide up the existing animations between more steps (and the damage maybe too)
    - let players move during the animation (like you said)
    - or a rehaul revamp including both

If this is possible, some tech guy from their engine department might answer...but this would keep combat fast and dynamic and avoid heatseeking polearms (and also allow for more LoS checks). The engine can handle already moving hitboxes (white hits, combo presteps)...

Quote Originally Posted by Lurvi View Post
    I agree, if you miss comboskip that much, go combojump. Gives an edge for those who put the effort in to master it, while making for no imbalance or anything like that.
    No? Avoiding AoE CC spells/combos while hitting enemy, yeah no unbalance, more pfull than from cskip

cskip just made combat faster. jumping makes server go mess and shows players in wrong locations for non jumpers

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast