Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Boyles - Advanced PVP Advice

Combo skipping is like the current jump exploit, it's just a question of training. Any average player gets it in 15 minuts on a strawman. You don't need to think of an extra thing. It's constantly the same. It's a win/win mechanic that is valid for every single time you'll launch your combo.

Current system demands more adaptability. Depending on the situation you'll cancel your combo to dodge an attack losing a bit of dps, or you'll finish it if you don't need to move and thus do mare dps. Depending on the situation you'll also be chosing a high rank combo or a low rank combo to fit the purpouse, fast relatively small dps or long relatively high dps.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

You can turn the arguments also around not in your favour. Had the pro-comboskipping lobby, who obviously liked the exploit (and everything one char can do, but a similar geared char with the same hardware cannot, this IS per definition either a bug or when used to gain an advantage, an exploit. should be pretty common sense), not bullied others who tried to find common ground and tried to keep what you consider "skillbased" in the game...then we might have gotten a system where EVERYONE could have benefits by knowledge of the animations, combos and skippoints (i am not blaming anyone personally, but i have heard exactly the same arguments before and they came from mobbing, arrogant and lacking a broader view of the game people (e.g. someone who always played only a limited set of classes)).

And the removal of comboskipping was certainly not responsible for the mass exodus (and for some people who did exploit on purpose, the game is better off without them probably or they still use 3rd party things now and still play). It is not easy to say though, because many bad things from a pvper perspective happened back then in relative short time succession (most friends i knew since 2009 left because of Bori and khitai...not the cc-revamp or due to weird server merges).

If funcom does add something like skipping that might be even different for each combo, does not look weird and actually works independant of chars gender...then we have a common ground (imagine a combo animation time with an optimum duration for best damage, but which can be cancelled earlier with less damage or later (with less damage due to longer animation than necessary)).

The main drawback i see there is funcoms structure (and pvp experience to test out things, so it will not mess up every balance again like old skipping did) and the combination with the new engine and network. For me right now...any timed action is pure luck (or lag) based

About the jump exploit...or the knockback evasion...wouldn't it be better we had actually intended working mechanics (with tooltips included) than some lag-generating mess? It is amazing what even i can do just by abusing certain game mechanics...and it DOES create lag, since i can easily reproduce it with only two accounts in the arena. Problem here might be again, that though it might sound easy to fix for us...funcom might truly have problems there (remember what they did when fixing a certain fall exploit and rubberbanding was created? like being stuck in animation and rubberbanding forever...)
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 10th March 2013 at 17:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Manilavanilla View Post
    Joel Boyles is the evil twin of Joel Bylos?
    Didn't his sister win "Britains got talent" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    maybe im harsh here skill weave, but having been spammed for years is the players' desire to pvp and the complaint of lacking content to do so

combo skipping with still the 5 pve objective maps wont boost pop, it just wont
    If you were actually even remotely decent at the game, then I would actually take the time to read what you have to say thoroughly. I have seen your posts in the past and seen you play AoC, that alone is enough evidence provided that you're not the type of person developers should be listening to.

Look at AoC now because of the player bases feedback and ex-Game Developer who has the same mentality as you, it's pretty much a dead game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    Yeah, waste time and resources on a new combo cancelling mechanic. That will obviously bring back the 2 or 3 bear shamans that left the game after the fixes.

Joel, just ignore everything they say and keep working on reducing the gap between geared and non geared players. That's all we want.

If you fix soldiers, overpowered ccs, necro dots and the gear gap, the gameplay will be perfect.
    Yeah, let's not waste time on what actually makes games good for replay value, such as game mechanics and make terrible game designs where people grind for gear for countless months and wonder why the game is dead.

There was nothing wrong with the game in 1.04 or 1.05 mechanic wise, hence why the game was actually 10x the population it is now and dwindled after the patch came out. Replay value and fun, challenging system mechanics is what continues to keep people around, even when they're playing.

Grindable content means one thing, you get bored of it once you complete it one time through. People who raid over and over beating the same boss are what I call, weak minded people, they fear a challenge and lack confidence.

Ahhh the Internet the place where all are kings and all are bad. Bottom line their game their definitions whether we agree/like etc. Just play it for what it is, find something better, or go outside a bit breathe in the air and live life.

It's all in the sig.
    Perception is everything, and yours doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by konungr View Post
    Why do people always say the pvp is based off gear? I see undergeared fresh toons enter mini's or in open world pvp all the time and do very well, based on their skill and understanding of the class and game mechanics. If I can take two weeks to gear out a toon in Khiti gear, I can compete in pvp with anyone, in any kind of gear...so it really isn't a question of gear.

The long animations that the barb (for example) waiting for a combo to finish is frustrating. But the class is still playable and can be viable in any situation in a mini game. Combo canceling was GOOD for the game, it added to the pvp skill level and mobility to combat. But it is gone. We have to understand it and move on from it.

Getting rid of hard earned gear in mini games is a bad idea. It's like farming Abyss for one piece and it never dropping...for months. When it finally drops I want to use it, wherever, and whenever I want to. I want to change my gear up, and see what works better for different situations. Will a fresh 80 be confused about stats and probably have to learn the hard? Probably. But despite it all, I feel like if I have a question I can put it in global and get answers when I need them, even if people have had to listen to me promote open world pvp in global chat.

What pvp needs in this game is more maps, a ranking system, and a compelling reason for pvpers to stay on pvp servers. Everyone ran to Set (myself included) to pve end game content. The gear, rings, neck, weapons are all better than the pvp gear for pvp. I want that gear...but at what cost? I now have many 80's across accounts and rarely play my main anymore because I just don't find Set enjoyable. People I used to battle...now walks right by me in open world...I feel like they are sad they aren't allowed to kill me. Catch pvp gear up with pve gear, and I will be happy enough to bring all my toons home to Tyranny again.

PVP is based off gear. If you take 2 of the exactly same skill based players and have them use 2 of the exact same classes and give one full AA and Gear and the other no AA and Gear, the guy with less is going to get decimated. Don't be a moron, Age of Conan is based purely on Gear and then you have your kids who function like they have down syndrome that anybody can beat with anything on.

Just stop talking, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorg-Acolyte View Post
    Ahhh the Internet the place where all are kings and all are bad. Bottom line their game their definitions whether we agree/like etc. Just play it for what it is, find something better, or go outside a bit breathe in the air and live life.

It's all in the sig.
    I don't play this game, but I would if they actually made it something worth time to play. It's a game that has and always will have potential but lacks leadership and proper design and has become a magnet for attracting the weakest minded people I have ever endured in the gaming scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Skill-Weave View Post
    I don't play this game
    when u log on, duel me

im starting to understand how this works

since u cant land combos, u play casters waiting for a mechanic that lets u do more combos, which would give u a chance in pvp if u played a melee

in the mean time u throw dots, being the only way u can 'pvp'

fair enough, but do understand that it would make melee 'op', does this mean ud like to see a mechanic for casters in spell-skip?
    Last edited by barbaricwildcat2; 10th March 2013 at 18:52.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast