Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Boyles - Advanced PVP Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Combo skipping didn't increase the damage of your combos. It was because you could do combagaibstker that meant you would do more damage. If it's a system that's readily available to all melees, it surely isn't a problem.

Ofc it increases damage.You can do more combos with same damage as the longer intended, in a certain time. And it increases damage for melee against ranged and upsets balance.

Its an exploit, stupid to claim anything else.

Funcom should remove cast times and cooldowns on all abilities for mages also....

*Shakes head*

PvPers and their tired "removing combo cancelling" killed the game whine.
    Last edited by Kharnamatic; 9th March 2013 at 23:57.

Keep it civil, keep it constructive, and keep it on topic or this thread gets shut down.
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

I'm not sure what game you guys are remembering where combo canceling ever took skill

It was just learning the right time to cancel each combo, and after a few hours (at most) it became muscle memory and took no effort for anyone. The baddest of the bad used to do it with no problem.

I prefer the new system because it balances all classes and genders and there's no way they're going to add it back anyway. With the new combo system you are never rooted - remember a HoX's Pillar combos before? Those were horrible, being rooted for like 2 straight seconds, unable to do anything after your combo.

What could happen, is some combo animations could be sped up, with very minimal DPS decrease, varying depending on class. HoX's Hell Strike combos could all use a good speed increase so they aren't stationary doing crap damage. At least with Pillars while they're stationary it's for a big hit, but Hell Strikes is pretty pitiful now in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartaacus View Post
    The Game does not need more PvP content, Stop crying for PvP content.

No matter how many fancy pvp content funcom can come up with, it will all be watered down and ruined by the unbalanced pvp factor.

If PvP itself class/gear/AA/CC etc are not even close to balanced and have serious issue, how does new "pvp content" going to make any different?

You want some new pvp content? Seige, Khemi Arena, Khesh Arena.
    Booom all there, you zone in, you started PvP GUESS WHAT?
    Its the same everywhere else! Players with T4 poop gear will poop on you, casters will still insta cast you to death, CC's are still imbalanced, Gear/AA still Play a huge factor over skill. Whats changed? within a month of new content people will realize its just the same old crap over and over, newbies getting farmed, Top PVE gear and OP classes Wins. BAM guarenteed.

Remember what we said its going to happen to Deathwish server?
    it was almost 100% true, the posts we made 'months' before deathwish release are like prophets now...
    what killed deathwish isnt pvp btw

AAs, gear, char limit, etc

pvp is the only reason why a few players still persist on white sands on 19s, the only place where aoc's grind and imbalance doesnt affect as harshly

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyy View Post
    Ofc it increases damage.You can do more combos with same damage as the longer intended, in a certain time. And it increases damage for melee against ranged and upsets balance.

Its an exploit, stupid to claim anything else.
    Try reading my post again. I said it didn't increase the damage of your combos. You do more damage because you could do more combos in a shorter space of time.

And again, FC did deem it an exploit, but I said if they were to reimplement it for the good of pvp and state it as a working function, it then is no longer an exploit.

Capiche?

lol at removal of combo skipping resulted in players leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    Try reading my post again. I said it didn't increase the damage of your combos. You do more damage because you could do more combos in a shorter space of time.

And again, FC did deem it an exploit, but I said if they were to reimplement it for the good of pvp and state it as a working function, it then is no longer an exploit.

Capiche?
    Ofc it increases the dps of a combo and class. Damage/sek. And you want to reimplementet so melee can get 30% dps increase and **** all ranged.

Its unrealistic. It demanded big changes to how all combos where finished and will never happen.

Capiche.

I agree with Balacai. Keep in mind aswell that if CS was so efficient it was also because half the players couldn't perform it as succesfully as others due to gendre issues. Comboskipping was nice when you had that 1sec root after each combo. Now that this is gone you have the choice. Cancel your combos to move and dodge a CC/dps combo, or stay put to deal more damage. Not both like with CS.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Balacai View Post
    I'm not sure what game you guys are remembering where combo canceling ever took skill

It was just learning the right time to cancel each combo, and after a few hours (at most) it became muscle memory and took no effort for anyone. The baddest of the bad used to do it with no problem.

I prefer the new system because it balances all classes and genders and there's no way they're going to add it back anyway. With the new combo system you are never rooted - remember a HoX's Pillar combos before? Those were horrible, being rooted for like 2 straight seconds, unable to do anything after your combo.

What could happen, is some combo animations could be sped up, with very minimal DPS decrease, varying depending on class. HoX's Hell Strike combos could all use a good speed increase so they aren't stationary doing crap damage. At least with Pillars while they're stationary it's for a big hit, but Hell Strikes is pretty pitiful now in PvP.
    You being a prime example of the type of person I was referring to in my post.

How many premades did we do again and you couldn't compete at the top tier level? Even when the opposing team had half the gear no BK invulns and half the AA? Same when you were in pugs and on your Guardian, you couldn't compete against the top tier players.

Combo Cancelling is "easy" once you understand it and can do it, what you're not understanding is that, having multiple layers of stuff you can do in a game increases the game skill cap and learning curve, this is what prevents bland boring game mechanic behavior that anybody can achieve, such as yourself.

If you automatically input a combo cancelling feature such as the game you're playing now, then that's one less thing for your brain to compute, resulting in more simplified gameplay. If Funcom encouraged the mechanic and set it up in the same manner as I explained in my article, then it would be another skill set a user must learn and aquire in order to compete in the game at a certain level.

To you it may be easy to combo cancel, that's because you probably excel at the game much better than others, then there is another layer of players that excel above you and another layer on top of that, but you can never see the levels unless you uncap the game and allow the individual player to express his actions within the game, this is way you have trouble seeing where I am at, because you're not there yet, you have never experienced an experience that allows you to truly see the full potential of what a player should truly be allowed to do in a game.

I can understand why you enjoy it simplified, it evens the playing field for you, it's not hard to run around in the best gear in a game you continue to play for the last 3-4 years beating up brand new players or kids that don't even care for PVP, it's understandable, it allows your brain to justify that you're amazing at something that isn't even amazing, it's only natural.

I am not asking for AoC to go 100% hardcore, I enjoy a few simplified mechanics myself, but I do know, making something as boring as the game is now isn't exactly "fun". Challenge is everything in life, with out it, life would be boring and depressing.

Combo Cancelling does need to return along with every other aspect I have mentioned above, whether you want to see that or not "yet".

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast