Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minigame Balance suggestion

Default Minigame Balance suggestion

In its current state you usually get lopsided teams. It splits on classes yes, but skill is never a calculated factor. Someone could be bori pvp10 and have no skill, so gear/pvp levels cant be the basis for calculating balance.

Often there is that "one noob" that is completely clueless, or a troll, and will hide or not care about winning the match, screwing the team over with 5v6.

My suggestion: Balance KDR between teams, or minigame win/loss ratio. Add up the total win/loss, or KDR, or a combination of both ratios of everyone in each team. If one team is much higher than the other, swap the DPS, healers, rogues, tanks, etc.. to obtain balance between teams. This should be a rather simple algorithm to write.

On another note, if a bunch of people decline, and there isn't enough players, it does not re-balance the number of players in the teams before the match starts. It should move people around until balance is obtained. A couple minutes of balancing before the matches start is worth the wait than a 20 minute pad farm.
    Dismiss EU
    Peyote US

By playing with stronger players you become stronger as well, both as a team and a player. There are a lot of catches in balancing, and I doubt there is a decent solution until minigame queues are crowded with people.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by csutton View Post
    In its current state you usually get lopsided teams. It splits on classes yes, but skill is never a calculated factor. Someone could be bori pvp10 and have no skill, so gear/pvp levels cant be the basis for calculating balance.

Often there is that "one noob" that is completely clueless, or a troll, and will hide or not care about winning the match, screwing the team over with 5v6.

My suggestion: Balance KDR between teams, or minigame win/loss ratio. Add up the total win/loss, or KDR, or a combination of both ratios of everyone in each team. If one team is much higher than the other, swap the DPS, healers, rogues, tanks, etc.. to obtain balance between teams. This should be a rather simple algorithm to write.

On another note, if a bunch of people decline, and there isn't enough players, it does not re-balance the number of players in the teams before the match starts. It should move people around until balance is obtained. A couple minutes of balancing before the matches start is worth the wait than a 20 minute pad farm.
    I agree something needs to be put in place.

Mini games can be ridiculously lop-sided

IE:

Team A has 3 healers, Team B has none
    Team A has 5 tanks, Team B has none

I find seeking balance at all cost kind of wrong. The plague of minis is the very low tolerance to lose. You can balance things as much as you like the fact will remain, it's PUG minis.

Ever noticed that it's mainly decent players with most likely decent K/D that leave minis first ? If people just tried to fight every match instead of hiding, leaving, overratting the unbalance... would be great.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vehl View Post
    I find seeking balance at all cost kind of wrong. The plague of minis is the very low tolerance to lose. You can balance things as much as you like the fact will remain, it's PUG minis.

Ever noticed that it's mainly decent players with most likely decent K/D that leave minis first ? If people just tried to fight every match instead of hiding, leaving, overratting the unbalance... would be great.
    +1
    But I will ALWAYS prefer if they leave and give up the spot for someone who wants to play to join the game.
    There is nothing I hate more in this game than ****tards going in hide just because they met some challenge instead of leaving the game, giving up the spot for someone willing to play.
    AFJ still owner of Caelnach
    Jimmies status:
    [ ]Not Rustled
    [x]Rustled

Quote Originally Posted by thomasy93 View Post
    +1
    But I will ALWAYS prefer if they leave and give up the spot for someone who wants to play to join the game.
    There is nothing I hate more in this game than ****tards going in hide just because they met some challenge instead of leaving the game, giving up the spot for someone willing to play.
    I allways hate joining a minigame halfway done and already lost, so I prefer people don't leave. HV is not so bad, but joining BR at 0-1 with 10 minutes left is such a waste.

I enjoy joining a minigame midway, and turn it around.

I'm wondering exactly what's in that algorithm they've got presently. It doesn't seem to try to balance anything at all, except trying to distribute members of the same class onto opposite teams if there are two of them. Some of the teams last night on DW.... Not sure WTF was going on exactly, but it was pretty brutal and you knew what was coming well before the mini started.

balancing by kdr is a really bad idea. Win/Loss is a better idea. Balancing on skill is not possible since that is all opinion. Keeping the pvp lvls balanced between the teams wouldnt be a bad approach, i dont really care if its a pvp 10 bori'd out player who has 3 days of experience. They still harder to kill than a pvp 0. Its frustrating being on a team of pvp 1-5's and the other team has 3 10's and 2 8's. No matter the skill level, the lower team will always loose the majority of the time.

But as stated above it really doesnt matter, most self proclaimed best players always drop at the first sign of a loosing team. Had it happen 3 times last night, funny thing is, we won 2 of them.
    Last edited by lonetac; 7th March 2013 at 20:58.

Agreed. KDR isn't really a good indicator, but the LEAST they could do is balance pvp levels. Like lonetac said, Whether or not it's Bori'd pvp 10 matters little since they'll have access to gear that makes them resilient.

Mini-game team balancing is a MAJOR problem that needs fixing.
    Jasmina - Assassin
    Ozmodan - Barbarian
    Balauh - Necromancer
    Kodiax - Bear Shaman
    Nadomzo - Demonologist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast