Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tank spec help

I've only skim read most of this garbage, but you can fix aggro issues by doing more DPS while tanking. It's an interesting concept, not many people have tried this. I like to think of myself as a trend setter.

This one goes back further into the thread, but I have solo tanked Pagoda HM with only four people total in the group. No rogues. Adds were a pain with the heal.

Edited by Arishanya to remove profanity. As a reminder using profanity on the forums is against the Social Guidelines.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 3rd April 2013 at 17:05.

Lol at seeing bogus getting schooled.

Bogus made valid points when he compared numbers on feats.

You can all argue about Stone Skin and ****, but c'mon - 3 points in Hexer's Might???

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    You can all argue about Stone Skin and ****, but c'mon - 3 points in Hexer's Might???
    I'll agree with that, 3 points is a waste. Maybe 1, but again it depends on play style

Quote Originally Posted by torinach View Post
    I'll agree with that, 3 points is a waste. Maybe 1, but again it depends on play style
    Are you serious?

It's like debating if sticking a flower to your armour would improve anything. 1-3% on one combo? Can you tell the difference when you have it or not?

Personally I've specced it with 1 point when i first started playing Dt. I've not used it for a long time, but I do know some Dts who use it as an extra minor proc. I dunno how many points they assign to it, never really cared to ask. Thats why I say maybe its a question of playstyle.
    The reason they use it, I've been told its specced is that its a minor proc that can increase Vom proc rate, but I cant speak from experience cause I got rid of it before I had VoM.

Hexers might an procc???
    Haha
    You are a funny guy!
    With this "knowledge" your are disqualified !

Curse of Gwahlur: no reason to remove it from any tank spec. It's 1 point and can be disabled for fights that require fast and/or frequent aggro switching.

Consuming Bullwark: Very low tap (check parsers). 0 or 1 point imo.

Hexer's Might: really a 0 point feat for a tank spec. Of course DPS supports aggro, but this is one of the less useful DPS feats for aggro building purpose.
    And it's not a proc. For Vom critic "proc" purpose Blighted Soul and Corrupt Weapon are useful feats; for a fresh lvl 80 with no VoM also these feats can be swapped for something different.

Stone Skin / Iron Skin: this choice is related to magical / physical tank of course.
    The most efficient solution is to have 2 different builds: one for magic damage tank and one for physic damage tank.
    Magic damage tank spec: 5 points Stone Skin, 5 points Invulnerable Soul, and also some points in Iron Skin (1 to 5) depending on gear (it's good to have at least 51% physical mitigation - or higher - in any tank build; few bosses are "pure" magic damage and some extra armor is nice to have).
    Something like this: http://goo.gl/XIZZh.
    Physic damage tanks spec: no Stone Skin, no Invulnerable Soul, 5 points in Iron Skin. Some more points in DPS feats for extra-aggro.
    Something like this: http://goo.gl/zyChb.
    If for some reason having 2 different builds is not an option, a good all around template for a geared tank can be something like this: http://goo.gl/ZLSeI (few points to adjust).

Anyway, Bogus is right imo: for a fresh lvl 80 DT (no AA, no Epic 80 gear) to spend points in Iron Skin is not really worth (better feat Improved Defencive Stance).
    You can't expect in any case to tank T3 bosses or adds in Pagoda or Jade Dogout HM, or Spawn in Enigmata.
    You will (or at least you should..) start with T1 / T2 and/or Kithai NMs or old world dungeons; first HMs will be Monastery and Palace, and all you will need for all these instances is Hex Marked Soul.

Dark Hand / Ether Reap: this is one of the few real open choices to go down in Depravity tree. Dark Hand goes with Drain Strength (so it's 6 points in total). Both feats are useful and both choices work. If choice is Dark Hand, it's always possible to turn off Soul Barrier to refill mana. Ether Reap (3 to 5 points) imo works better for solo tanking and in some specific mana drain fights like Coppice HM (it's almost essential to solo tank this instance). Dark Hand is a useful feat too: the health refill is nice especially during Blood Pact. If in a specific fight we find that we have to disable Soul Barrier too often, then in that specific fight Ether Reap would work better. In T3 (frequent aggro switch) I'd prefer Dark Hand. For Kithai HMs I'd prefer Ether Reap.

Soul Infusion: no.

In the end, few to none feats are essentials and it's not always black or white.
    The most efficient setup is very situational (fight, group setup, etc).
    But some builds / choices are more efficient than others in most situations (it is true for almost every class).

For pure fun (not pretending it is a good tank build ), this Talisman tank build works great for me to tank in some Kithai HMs (Flame, Vortex, Den, Abyss, Palace, Necropolis, Malice, ..): http://goo.gl/snw8K.

It requires decent heal (no Dread Shadow to auto-offtank, no Shield mitigation, Blood Pact on cooldown for 5min instead of 2,30), but this build has everything needed to tank efficiently physical damage bosses with a talisman (need strength accesories / weapon to keep at least 50,5% physical mitigation).
    As an alternative of course DT can tank in normal tank build and use Wisdom / Magic Damage accessories; the goal is always to have at least 50,5% - more or less - or more physical mitigation to tank).
    I tested and in the end you push a bit more damage with a Talisman tank build than with a normal tank build with shield and wisdom accessories.
    Also the first is a lot more fun (it's its only purpose)
    Last edited by Calore; 8th March 2013 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Calore View Post
    For pure fun (not pretending it is a good tank build ), this Talisman tank build works great for me to tank in some Kithai HMs (Flame, Vortex, Den, Abyss, Palace, Necropolis, Malice, ..): http://goo.gl/snw8K
    Fun is all there is

I used to do KK runs with something like this (tweaked it a little since that time).

KK dungeons are very specific, because there's no need for a full time tank - DS can handle the job while you dps in frenzy. If you have VoM and Decisive Strikes, you don't even need special gear to make it work - I used a T1 axe + blue tali from Enigmata and I often used barbarian or ranger pieces if I needed more protection (I didn't even bother with bluesteel). It will be hard to make it work anywhere else though.

http://goo.gl/jZ0Qq

I use to use that for a lolzy DPS/tank spec. So much DPS potention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post
    http://goo.gl/jZ0Qq

I use to use that for a lolzy DPS/tank spec. So much DPS potention.
    Potention? Come on, you're grammers better then that...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast