Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Commandments for the Off-tank

Default 10 Commandments for the Off-tank

Since Unutterable hasn't bothered to copy/paste, I should do so in his stead!

Well, since the tank and the healer got one, I figure I'd make one for the much-maligned, often neglected off tank. This would apply equally to Conks and DTs.

1. Thou shalt honor thy raid or group leader, for an attentive off-tank is the leader's most useful servant, and an inattentive off-tank the butt of the DPS class jokes.

2. Thou shalt not sumbit to hubris and tank when there is a Main Tank present. Should thou be tanking and a Main Tank becomes available, thou shalt yield the tanking to your more turtle-like brother or sister without rancor.

3.Thou shalt always remember thy place, for it is to stand behind thy main tank and in front of thy healer. The off tank that remembers not this commandment shalt left to ponder his error as he awaits a rez.

4. Thou shalt not blow thy cooldowns save at the behest of thy group leader. Premature activation is a sin and the only just punishment is to be mocked by the women.

5. Thou shalt remember that thine is the heart of the group. Thou wilt defend thy squishy DPS brethren from the consequences of their own folly.

6. No man is an island, and no raid succeeds that does not work in concert. Therefore, thou shalt be attentive upon the words of the raid leader, and act in the very moment of his command, and not bring about the raid leader's apoplexy as he screams repeatedly to take aggro or stomp the adds.

7. Thou art a true puzzle; a dps class and a tank, a frontline trooper and a group support warrior. Therefore, thou shalt practise true balance in thy feats, so that thou might be the versatile combatant required, even at the cost of pvp divinity.

8. When tanking, thou shalt TANK. When dps'ing, thou shalt DPS. Thou shalt not perform thy assigned duties by half-measure.

9. Thou shalt not mock the tank for his lack of dps, nor the dps for their feeble squishiness, but rather thou shalt be thy dps'er's shield and thy tank's cannon.

10. Thou shalt not ever, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever, flee the battlefield; when the Main Tank falls and the raid dissovles into wipe, thou shalt cover the asses of thy healers as they flee for the door.

11. Make the guard the offtank.
    AFJ still owner of Caelnach
    Jimmies status:
    [ ]Not Rustled
    [x]Rustled

There is no offtank, the offtank is a lie.
    I am Stian ingame...

there is! its tanking something in offensive stance

I actually don't know where the old us forums are archived. Thought this was lost to history, thanks Ruhen.

Also: Holy pre 1.05 Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    There is no offtank, the offtank is a lie.
    This isn't entirely correct, hox is offtank. But not soldiers.

Hey I remember this thread helped me a lot few years ago when I was a MMO noob and I wondered what should I do in a raid (I was constantly told to let guards and DT do the main tanking job :/)

It was on US forum and I was on EU so I couldn't thank the OP back then ! ( I'm doing it now )
    -- Ieronon, QQror --
    -- Deutter, holy potato --

Default off tank

there acculy only exists 2 offtanks atm.
    a carnage conc and a tali dt(althoe a tali dt can solo something)
    the exeption is offcourse undergeared toons, that only take the place with agro lock tools, like goat, forced engage, dt pet. talking off a offtank at same gear treshold as MT any of the classes with correct specs can tank it if a main tank will have to stall hes hate for the undergeared tank to grap it by regular hate generation most propperly a mage or rouge will be 2 on agro list, and be killed. there are several tricks to make it work anyways, especialy on conc. let the brute (undergeared) conc start the tanking rotation with gods combo and retaliation, and cunning deflection. this will give the conc a major boost in agro from retributive damage giving with rigth tanking rotation a chance to stay within range of mt. keep combinding gods buff with retaliation if u uses agro lock tools to sqwees more hate out doing the agro holding, this will also on high lvl concs be a issue that can kill u since tanking under bubble with ret damage up, simply will lock the agro so hard on u, that nothing can get it off u exept goat or dt pet. a very importent note is the dt pet cant take agro off u unless u stop ure combos untill its targets target. after that return to rotation. when generating alot of agro u can acculy agro switch with the pet and it can tank for a fair amount of time becours of heals.

I think most of you are taking this too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post
    I think most of you are taking this too seriously.
    The problem is that conqs are reading this and think they are justified being useless to the team.

It should be expected from a conq to enter the aggro rotation and mitigate their share of the damage, and their share is equal to that of other soldiers.

What is most amazing is that even now, after they made the conq more powerful than Mitra himself, some conqs still suggest they take the backseat.
    I am Stian ingame...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast