Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Barb

Default Thoughts on the Barb

I have reached the four month game mark with my barb. Have the tigers set for dps and do very high dps. But right now I am disappointed. I have hit a low spot with my barb that makes the game less enjoyable. I don't like to complain, but I just want to get a few things off my chest since I have put a lot of time and effort into my character.

I am finding out the barb is a very basic class end game. Outside of the usual rotation combo rotation exct. One of the main reasons I am at a low spot right now is that I feel like I have done all I can do with my barb. I have three specs and have experimented a ton. Yesterday I got the brittle blade light armor set and have been trying it out in PVE with a zerker/bloodrage regen build, and predatory instincts as well. It is very discouraging that this set with evasion and immunity are basically useless in end game PVE. I wanted to be able to dodge incoming attacks and mitigate the attacks that get through. For anyone wanting to do this I wouldn't bother to get the brittle blade set and try. High immunity and evasion have almost no affect whatsoever even when using it to augment bloodrage stance stacks. Basically tigers dps gear/build is it end game for the barb. The other faction sets have more function as vanity sets than anything else. Pretty upset about this after grinding out three different sets.

I have also found there are very few weapon choices for barbs end game, and you see a lot of barbs using the same stuff. My barb is losing a lot of its fun lately, even when taking him in T4. I can stay alive and dps well, and that's about all there is to the barb.

There just not much depth to the barbarian. I was hopeful I could figure out something to be different, and find a new refreshing playstyle, but the barb is not a dynamic class. I have hope I will find another class more versatile and dynamic so it can keep my attention longer, and because the game is very good overall. But right now I am very disappointed with the barbarian. Everything about a barb seems second best, with very basic gameplay.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by mastroakq; 6th March 2013 at 20:36.

what kind of tasks you usually do in T4 with your barb?

I have only been high dps in T4, or cc and aa control on one of the last bosses. Very limited experience in T4.

I guess I am alright with the barb overall, and the only things I could ask for would be some new abilities/talents/gear/aa's. Basically a refreshing of the barb to make it a little more dynamic as a class.

I know some of you will say play another class, and I do intend to. I have a new Hox I am working on. But my barb will always be my main and my favorite rpg class. Just a little sad right now about feeling so basic and limited with my barb.

Try to be one of the few that can pull off insane dps with 2hander!
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Barb in T4 in a nutshell:

Be on door CC duty on Sheng fight.

Be reaver dps for every other fight from Basilisk thru Mem Cloud.

Be asked to bring a ranged alt for Entity

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    Try to be one of the few that can pull off insane dps with 2hander!
    Working on it. Already do decent damage with Greataxe of the Crimson Sea 2h and zerk spec. Problem is most people don't want a 2h zerker barb in raids for DPS. I like that zerker feels a little more free when moving than reaver does, but not much. It has the CC's and knockbacks too, but they don't work on most bosses or raid mobs. Plus it has the health regen that I really wanted to boost somehow. I have tried to find a good 2h healthtap weapon to augment bloodrage stance stacks but it really doesn't exist outside of one 3.5 weapon.

Arcane Marauder should be a second tier feat in place of a blitz, which makes me feel like I'm being penalized if I take blitz in a build. Haste is a little too short and not great enough movement increase.

I guess i just like the idea of being in a fierce melee fight and hitting hard and fast, and moving quickly. I would like a little more OOMPH! Maybe a couple new animations and some new looking abilities. I would like to be able to sprint strafe too.

No escape is kind of a unique Barbarian move that I like, but it has very short range and a long cooldown.

Overall not much else to do with my barb. Have hit a barrier for the class.

Unfortunately if you want to max out your dps as a barb you will have to go reaver otherwise you wont achieve your classes full potential. You shouldn't need the health regen and survivability in raids to be worried about the zerker build and feats but with the ability to have 2 feat trees or 3 even you can switch feats during the raids to suit each fight if it's required. If you continue to go 2 hander then feat reverse swing and all the damage abilities you can but reaver will still do more than you can but your dps will be respectable.

On Sheng encounter you can be one of the cc/dps guys at the doors but also be at the main boss and nuke away

on Zodiac encounter if you find your task at the boss boring, you can always volunteer to do the 6-man puzzle thingy in the middle and after solving/skipping a puzzle you can go to boss and dps for few moments

On Emperor encounter, depending on your raids dps, you can be at the boss instead of those golem dudes

On Saddur is your time to do as much damage as you can to a living straw man, very nice opportunity to test a new build perhaps or try to do better than last time

On Entity.. well.. read a newspaper?

Someone let my barb come to T4 on Set.

Quote Originally Posted by konungr View Post
    Someone let my barb come to T4 on Set.
    Depends on your skill level and gear level. But aren't you in Prophets?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast