Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bear Smash Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lurvi View Post
    1. Nope, they can though, it's as Otar said.
    2. Yes, and unfortunately you can only penetrate the double and triple shields, so in regard to the +10 penetration rating it has some very big limits to it. About penetration rating you can read here:
    http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=189860

As for Slaugther the Armor Penetration is the biggest deal, and currently Im experimenting with it in PvE. It seems to depend on the mob you're facing.
    Strawman has no armor, so he's not affected. Mobs in Ymir's Pass have no armor left when they're at x5 stacks of torment, so they're not affected by it either if x5 tormented. Mobs in Onyx Chambers are affected, even at x5 stacks, so you need to be up against a mob with more than 4500 armor. It seems mobs can't go into the negatives, however there are mobs in game with enough armor to penetrate through. These are only my mere observations.

It could prove difficult to test properly vs. raidbosses you'd want to use it against, unless... you go in some gimp spec without rampage and no groupbuffs to do the testing without any chance of error.
    Use the Internal Bleed dot to test. Good way for bears to check this out.
    lurvi knows best

Ok, since this thread is like a Council of the top Bear Shaman, I figured out I might ask a quick question here :

Is it possible that Iron Hide is really buggy ?
    It's suppose to be a bubble (at least a physical one ?), but this ho-sh*t button doesn't seems to work all the time.

Sometime I still get damage after it's activation (and I don't even mean lingering dot of magic proc of some crap, just some regular damage againt PVE mobs.). It's definitely not the first time it happens to me, and it's annoying as HELL. What's the point to save that perk for though situation if this feat is unreliable and unable to save your ass ?

I even have some log-screenshot, where it clearly says that it was correctly triggered before the fatal blows. Like
    "Iron Hide takes effect"
    "X mob hit you and inflict you 774 damage point"
    "X mob hit you and inflict you 832 damage point"

What the heck is going on ? Any idea ?
    (inb4 "you have activated Stone Hide istead of Iron Hide". No I didn't )
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

I don't think it's buggy. I don't know what you've tested or your screens. It's not just supposed to block everything, esp vs mobs that frequently hit you.

Btw it's not an oh sh!t button all the time. In pvp it's an overpower button where you stack it to 127 + sun + agression + emp + x5 ramp + vision if you use it and finisher of your given combo of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    Ok, since this thread is like a Council of the top Bear Shaman, I figured out I might ask a quick question here :

Is it possible that Iron Hide is really buggy ?
    It's suppose to be a bubble (at least a physical one ?), but this ho-sh*t button doesn't seems to work all the time.

Sometime I still get damage after it's activation (and I don't even mean lingering dot of magic proc of some crap, just some regular damage againt PVE mobs.). It's definitely not the first time it happens to me, and it's annoying as HELL. What's the point to save that perk for though situation if this feat is unreliable and unable to save your ass ?

I even have some log-screenshot, where it clearly says that it was correctly triggered before the fatal blows. Like
    "Iron Hide takes effect"
    "X mob hit you and inflict you 774 damage point"
    "X mob hit you and inflict you 832 damage point"

What the heck is going on ? Any idea ?
    (inb4 "you have activated Stone Hide istead of Iron Hide". No I didn't )
    It's the same with all bubbles, you need to activate it before sh!t happens. If a ranger starts an attack on your or a melee just landed his finisher, the bubble won't interrupt the damage (even guard's instant bubble). For BS it's even worse because you have a noticeable cast time. You have to be proactive, like with many many things in this game (has to do with game mechanics and also latency in some cases)

It's not a "panic button", but rather a powerful situational buff, that's the part you got wrong
    Last edited by kalston; 25th March 2014 at 12:08.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    It's the same with all bubbles, you need to activate it before sh!t happens. If a ranger starts an attack on your or a melee just landed his finisher, the bubble won't interrupt the damage (even guard's instant bubble). For BS it's even worse because you have a noticeable cast time. You have to be proactive, like with many many things in this game (has to do with game mechanics and also latency in some cases)

It's not a "panic button", but rather a powerful situational buff, that's the part you got wrong
    I understand that. Thanks for the tip. However, it still seems weird. The thing is that I don't have the problem with other bubble. For instance, the Serpent transmutation bubble of the ToS never failed me. Since the damage heals you after the transmutation, I very often use it when I'm very low in health, and never had a problem with it.

Here with the Iron Hide, I don't especially search to be the lowest on health I can. For instance, yesterday, mobs were beating me hard. And around 2k/2k500 HP left, I activated Iron Hide. Mobs were hitting me at the same time, so I had like 1500 hp left when Iron Hide took actually effect on my logs (Yes, Dragon's spine mobs can hit pretty hard, especially when you are defending the camp against the wave of serpent man). And still, boom, dead in a few second.

Thanks for the tip about the situational buff, though, I will try to see it more like that. I guess I was viewing Iron Hide in a way to close to Serpent Transmutation (or Overcome the Odds in a lesser way)

I don't know what you've tested or your screens. It's not just supposed to block everything, esp vs mobs that frequently hit you
    Well, to be fair, the tool tips pretty much imply that it will block everything or most of the things (But yhea, I know... AoC isn't famous for its accurate tooltip)
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

It's also how their animations start compared to when you've input the bubble command. There are plenty of times when tos bubble might have been activated but wouldn't block incoming damage because combo final step has already been pressed and registered before the bubble was up. Hence the animation might seem like the whacks hit after the bubble's up, but the registration happened beforehand.

Is there any use of SLAUGHTER for DPS ?
    Fully activated, it gives you +10 penetrating rate and +700 penetrating armor.
    Does it really affect your DPS ?
    Is it worth trading BLOOD THRIST and NATURE RAMPAGE for a 5 level SLAUGHTER ?
    I find BT useful as it is a nice blow and heals your team by 360 x number of target hit (nice crits sometimes at 700+). But in raids or instance, you rarely have multiple packed targets and this combo is not as effective as planned. So I am considering removing it from my template .

What about MUTILATION? I have just 3 levels in it and was wondering if i should not use 5 levels?

I also got BRUTAL WALKER and ETHER THEFT maxed. Anything wrong about that?
    http://aocfeats.com/feat/bs/11d3b21c...b0ec3b7f43bb7c
    Last edited by SHAKALL; 30th September 2014 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKALL View Post
    Is there any use of SLAUGHTER for DPS ?
    Fully activated, it gives you +10 penetrating rate and +700 penetrating armor.
    Does it really affect your DPS ?
    Is it worth trading BLOOD THRIST and NATURE RAMPAGE for a 5 level SLAUGHTER ?
    I find BT useful as it is a nice blow and heals your team by 360 x number of target hit (nice crits sometimes at 700+). But in raids or instance, you rarely have multiple packed targets and this combo is not as effective as planned. So I am considering removing it from my template .

What about MUTILATION? I have just 3 levels in it and was wondering if i should not use 5 levels?

I also got BRUTAL WALKER and ETHER THEFT maxed. Anything wrong about that?
    http://aocfeats.com/feat/bs/11d3b21c...b0ec3b7f43bb7c
    I don't play much BS anymore, but since you got no answer yet I try to help you.

Slaughter works as intented, but the DPS increase you can expect from it is just moderate:
    - Penetration Rating is meant to provide you a moderate amount of "shield bypassing". I remember a nice thread with exact amounts on tl forum, but I can't remember those numbers now. Anyway a value of 10 is pretty moderate, and has no use when you are hitting non shielded side, that should be your goal for most of the time.
    - Armor penetration allows to bypass mob/player armor. Quick calcs (very rough): 200 armor is approximately 1% mitigation, so a value of 700 should provide you approximately a 3,5% DPS increase.

This is what you can expect from fully feated Slaughter.
    This said, I would not skip Nature's Revenge for it for PvE (the Crit Rating bonus on SB is nice, as the healing effect).

And in fact the only generally used BS PvE build after revamp is pretty much this (with few points that you can change here and there):

http://goo.gl/WwTHU

When next patch comes live, for PvE Bewilder will be worth aswell (since debuff will work on raid bosses).
    Mutilation is definitely worth 5 points.
    Retired nab.. once it was Korando (PvP 10 BS), Andromaeda (PvP 10 Sin), Calore (PvP 10 Demo) and minions...

Thx Korando

The build looks like what I am using right now except:
    - Charge that i really miss even if it might mostly be just a feeling.
    - Brutal walker that i did not feat. My brutal walker deals actually something like 500/600 on straw man which is not really enough.
    - Ether theft that i got improved. ==> I think i should trade 2 points of ETI and set them in BW as i find ET really convinient.
    - I have the opposite values for and Balance of Nature and Empowered Renawal. As I do not really need End régeneration and macroed Renewal with my "forward" hit as it is supposed to be launched on the IB and SB finishers, I should stick to your repartition.
    Last edited by SHAKALL; 30th September 2014 at 16:45.

Slaughter was designed for PvP use, with Booming Roar being the bottom tier ability. I havent tested much but 700 armor penetration will not surpass the dps loss from multilation spec. With CA in rotation you can debuff npcs fairly quick, even faster in raid situations, making that armor penetration redundant and not worth the invested points. The companion spirit is nice but too expensive and silence in pve is useless save for a couple encounters which other classes can do better anyway. For pvp it could be very interesting, specially when paired with the pvp armor pen from the aa perk.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast