Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baddie noob ToS Thunder/Gen spec PvP [thread for advice for noobs including me]

Default Baddie noob ToS Thunder/Gen spec PvP [thread for advice for noobs including me]

Hey all, just to promote discussion and everything, here's a little bit of a take from a new ToS with relatively few AAs and only store bought PvP gear. Let me preface this with the fact that I'm still pretty bad and getting my situational awareness about me has been slow going, so just keep that in mind. This is NOT meant to be a cookie cutter spec nor should you think you should use it just because I use it. Also, keep in mind I only PvP so I have no idea how any of this does in PvE. Just wanted to share my thoughts as a new ToS and new 80, and some of the things I've noticed regarding how I play it.

I hit 80 and basically there were two routes I was suggested to go, with variances possible in each route. One was Thunder/Lightning and one was Thunder/General. Tried the Thunder/Lightning (double end feat Thunder with Lightning up to Elemental Fury) and although I didn't feel too weak, the survivability left quite a bit to be desired especially against decent teams who know not to let the ToS live too long. Thunder/Gen offers some great support for the team, with General giving you another 50% on your self heals (keeping you up longer to heal others who can CC and kill around you), another 2m on both blue options, and instant big blue (can cast it on the move, very nice).

This is the build I've settled on with experimenting, used most often from PvP0 to halfway through PvP3 so far. I do not use Idol of Set, but that's just from personal preference. That decision was made when I was less familiar with the class and needed less to manage, and I'll be revisiting the Idol build soon, now that I'm more comfortable with a lot of the other aspects of the class.

Some tweaks I've been thinking of making to it are the Idol inclusion and also maybe get some more points in armor..... We seem to do somewhat OK against magic and have some good tools there, but physical damage really dilates my anus. I'll admit, having ST is nice, and I'm trying to make it less of a crutch, but when you're out there against teams who like to melt ToSes, and you're not getting the support you need from your pug team, it's a godsend.

Again, I don't claim to know what I'm doing, I'm not good at the class. Just wanted to share what personal preference I've come to and why. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve on it.

It's not a build meant to top kills in minis, it's a build I've found promotes the mindset of support. I still lack a lot of AAs and I only get gear off the store, but with the low barrier to entry into DW minis, this has been enough to keep me from getting railroaded into Khitai whatsoever. It's been a nice change. I hope I never see that place again.

Also, like I said, I'm open to suggestions and critique. You don't need to tell me I'm bad and that I suck at the class, I already know that.

I'm terrible at duels and this spec doesn't help much, I've found it to be lacking in that respect. It's more of a mini or PvP group spec.

A couple things I've randomly noticed:

PotSR is great in sin-infested minis (bombs)
    TLoS makes a great search ability to pop others out of hide, nice feature since you get a blue heal to boot.
    Last edited by Clue; 6th March 2013 at 16:44.

why don't you shuffle a few points around and get spirit armor in the general tree, I'm sure there are points in thunder that you can move to the gen tree.

I was planning on trying that, maybe a couple from Static Blood? I can pull two from there, but other than that, where would additional points come from? Thunder Storm? Staggering Voice?

Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    I was planning on trying that, maybe a couple from Static Blood? I can pull two from there, but other than that, where would additional points come from? Thunder Storm? Staggering Voice?
    try something like this

11c66afc66d5266e1c66b5d66bc1669066978466c243827438 2d63872266c8938b6d3965d385f4383a03884c384c83891539 0e5386bc3865c385303902038788396c0388b038978

Cool thanks, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Here's the link since I had to copy what you posted then paste without spaces to get it to work.
    Last edited by Clue; 6th March 2013 at 22:01.

Cool thanks, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Here's the link since I had to copy what you posted then paste without spaces to get it to work.
    No worries, it won't be an instant win change just like upgrading a piece of armor it's not instantly noticeable (at least not with the TOS) but you will find yourself getting away with a sliver of health more often or just staying alive in situations where you would have died in the past and having a body or two at your feet.

Looks like a nice build. I think I will give it a try.

PvP 2 has been very hard for me in mini games as there are many that single me out. At PvP 2 I expect this and everything, but it does get to feeling like an uphill battle. A support role may be what I need till I gain lvls and gear.

Now, with that said, I do rack up some kills. SF ftw! But Id much rather help my team win than worry with k/d.

I run a pretty standard build http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v1_11c3...8f563927638fb8

I think I will try that support build out and see how I like it.

One question, any mana issues with this build?

Quote Originally Posted by Yiing View Post
    One question, any mana issues with this build?
    I rarely ever drain myself of mana, and FiS helps if I do get close.

If someone is burning or stealing my mana, then yes I do run out, but I figure I would in that scenario even with Coalesce Ether feated. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't really given Thunder/Lightning a decent shot lately.

I rarely ever drain myself of mana, and FiS helps if I do get close.

If someone is burning or stealing my mana, then yes I do run out, but I figure I would in that scenario even with Coalesce Ether feated. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't really given Thunder/Lightning a decent shot lately.
    You're correct if someone is burning or stealing your mana then you will be drained even with the mana taps feated.

@Yiing I don't believe you will see a drop in your effectiveness running more of a support build where you have the general tree feated for the insta big heal and survivability, there are TOS that have still been effective running a build like that. The longer you stay alive and keep your team alive the more effective you can be, getting kills on a TOS isn't something you have to work they will come if you stay in the fight.

I've even seen a TOS running thunder general for pve (feating the neg hate) and still doing massive dps so it's not like you are gimping your ability to dps running a feat build like that.

I ran 2 sags with this support build and I have to say......

I LOVE IT!

I get less kills but less deaths and I stay up so much longer to heal my team. I never really tried the insta big heal in a mini and I love it.

Thanks for the build post. Really love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast