Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demo Bible 4.0

Default Demo Bible 4.0

Just an evolution of the existing Bible. Copying the old one here as a placeholder and will go through and edit it.

Conflag

Deeper Fires - Opening feat, must have.

Pyromancer - adds fire damage to each attack. Should be included in every build that uses the conflag tree. Fully feated at 80 gives 72.3 fire damage.

Fluidic Fires- Adds splash damage to your Fires of Gehenna attack. Good feat if you have the points, otherwise skip it. You should be using your aoe for multiple targets.

Lingering Flames - increases the damage to the Incinerate dot. Must have for any build with conflag. Feat it fully

Scorch - Great feat for pvp. This is your healing debuff.

Blazing Fire - Adds the incinerate dot to your instant cast (Hellfire Stream). Also gives your instant cast the elemental torment debuff

Amassed Flames - Nice feat if you are going Conflag General (and can squeeze the points). More of a PvE feat because it requires you to be rooted in one spot to keep casting. If you can keep the counter up and still be mobile, it's worth taking.

Consume Flames - Never used this feat because I don't have mana problems. I would say if you are going to only PvE and find yourself running out of mana alot you could try it. If you use it, please give feedback and I will edit this one.

Field of Fires - This feat is one that is often overlooked. It adds a small dot on top of Incinerate. I always put at least 1 point in because it is essentially free damage. Three points increases the damage more but it’s not a huge difference. If you want max damage, feat it out. 99% of the time 1 point is enough.

Devouring Flames - This used to be one of the best feats around for leveling. All of the bodies that are killed and have Incinerate on them continue to damage nearby enemies. I would feat this at lower levels but then you will eventually need the points elsewhere.

Demonic War - Spell that grants magic damage increase based on your groups physical attacks. I need some feedback on this feat. I only took it when I had Conflag Gen builds so I could get Unholy Hate.

Unholy Hate - adds a damage mod to you and your group for a short time. Short cool down, decent spell.

Living Fire Storm - waste of a feat point. Does mediocre damage and you can use that feat point elsewhere.

Detonation and Backdraft - two feats, get them both. Detonation is one of the OP abilities. It's a KB that works off of incinerate. If your target has incinerate dot ticking, you pop detonate and it KB's them. And because you are an awesomely awesome demo, you get the bonus plan, AOE KB . Combine that with decent damage and minion kill and it's one of those spells you have to take.

Improved Waves of Flames - If you take the AA, this is a must have. If you don't use the AA, then don't waste your time.

Hellweave - I never have enough points for this so I never use it.

Combustion - Makes your Hellfire stream instant cast but increases recast time. Must have for pve and pvp.

Black Ashes - Adds a - combat rating debuff to Inferno of Amher. Also adds incinerate dot to anyone hit by the AOE.

Hell's Pavise - increases the reflective damage etc of soul spikes buff. This used to be a decent pet buff but with the Cachodemon AA, it's not worth feating this.

Blessing of Amher - Increases damage and reduces cooldown. Worth taking if you want max aoe damage in your build. I never have enough points to take this.

Greater Flames - Used to be a Demo's bread and butter but now is a waste. It increases your damage but still is not as much as two regular cast FoG.

Flame Body - gives a nice little boost to damage and will help against a hox or conflag demo but unless you are going all the way down the tree, not needed or worth the 5 points.

Agonizing Fiery Torment - Used to be instant when feated but with the CC revamp, it's .5 sec cast fully feated. I like it because it's still one of our best CC's but some people feel that it's a 'duelist feat'. I disagree. One of the things that makes a demo a good team player is your ability to use your CC's to help your teammates.

Hell's Blood - Increases the Vile Ambrosia buff from the Demon Slave pet. Nice feat but since I rarely run Slave pet, I don't take it.

Gates of Hell - another CC. We don't need it. Cast time is too long anyway.

Phase Out - Phase out improves the immunity ratings etc on Planar shift and also the casting time(instant at 2 points), not the cooldown.

Set's Chosen - decreases the damage inflicted to you when you use your pacts. Decent feat but like Flame Body, Don't take unless you are getting LTB

Empowered Pacts - increases the length of our Pacts

Impish Horde - nice concept but takes too long to cast and kills your existing pet. Imps also don’t do enough damage to make it worth it.

Let them Burn - maybe one of the most fun spells to play with. Channeling AoE spell that hits 5 times, each time harder and will splash up to 11 more people around the person targeted. If you go full conflag, you need this one.

Havoc

Circle of Magic - Opening feat, must have to move down.

Discharging Shockstrike - Adds splash damage to your Shockstrike attack. must have for Havoc / Gen builds. Not needed for Hybrid as you should be using your aoe's for multiple targets.

Natural Conductor - Increases your Electrical Magic Damage by 72.3. Must have if you feat into the Havoc tree

Overload - You gain a proc to get a free nuke. What it does is giving a -100% mana cost and you can proc it even in 3 direct nukes and not 5 depending on what you are doing.The chance on some spells is close to 100% rather than the actual proc rate.-100% mana cost means free spell when not using your hand of doom,when you use it it is removed form the additional mana cost of the casted spell that uses hand of doom but that spell will still consume mana.

Demonic Power - increases the damage your demon pet does. Actually a decent spell. All or nothing, feat it if you have the two points to spare. I usually choose it as a filler to move down. worth it if you're getting PoEW but not really stand alone.

Rapid Recharge - lowers the cool down on Shock. Must have for pvp.

Earth Recharge - all of your nukes have a chance to return mana back. Not a must, but if you have mana issue you definitely want to put some points in.

Bombardment - Extends the range of your Shockstrike nuke to 32.5 meters. if you are going to use Shockstrike as a primary attack, this is a must. Also increases range of Shock.

Soul Resonance - if you enter the Havoc tree, you better pick this one up. Adds the elemental torment debuff to your Shock spell.

Agonizing Jolts - channeling spell that slows the target and deals a small amount of damage. Skip it, not worth it.

Living Thunderstorm - makes a cute little tornado that does nothing. Skip it, not worth it

Copper Storm Chains and Charged Storm Chains - Both suck. Once improves the damage to a CC, the other adds a snare to anyone who is standing next to the person you snared (sounds good in theory but in reality sucks)

Chained Shockstrike - gives your Shockstrike nuke a chance to damage up to 2 other people near your target (kinda like a mini aoe if it procs). Very good feat but my point of view is that if there is more than one target, you should be using an AOE not Shockstrike. Some people will view SS with this feat as an AOE.

Fury of the Underworld - ok feat, increases your pet's chance to crit (10% with 5 points). Sounds insignificant until you realize that the pet crits also will proc Pact of Dread

Overloaded Shockblast - increase the damage to Shockblast AOE. If you are doing a havoc build, this is a must. Not only damage increase but also increases the chance and damage for the additional pillars of lightning that proc of shockblast.If you check your parses you should find two shockblast damage effects,one from the main nuke and one for the additional pillars..........The game has moved away from a pure AOE build play style to a single target, burn them as fast as possible, play style.

Shocklance - decent feat. Gives column damage and can be instant cast and have a high crit chance when you build a 5 stack up. It's a must have simply because you want to proceed further in the tree

Demonic Heart of Chatha - Used to be amazing but the bonuses were reduced. Still not bad, but usually don't have enough points. Just watch for pom's because you get a -50% holy debuff applied to you when you use it.

Hells Embrace - increases the amount of health that the Demon Guardaian. We have over 8000 HP. we dont need to spend points for more. waste of points, skip it

Wicked Bolts - used to be awesome, now is meh. It has a cast time and can be double tapped.

Pact of Dread - This is it, the big one. This is the buff that makes Demo's really start to shine. Any critical hit by you or your pet triggers a damage bonus on your next crit. It has a stack of 5 so after 5 crits, it resets. Not sure of the cool down, if there is any, so someone will have to help me with that. Needless to say, Must have CD is 30 seconds however if you dont consume all the charges and it times out the cd is 0. That wont happen very often or at all though **EDIT** I reported over 2 years ago that I don't believe this feat works. I think we get the benefits without having the feat checked off. I tested it with 0 feat points selected and fully feated and saw zero difference in parses, spike damage, anything. Its been a long time since I tested, so I would love to know if it was ever fixed.

Possession - decent CC... used to be instant, now not so much. Usually just one point.

Thunderclap - channeling frontal cone aoe that has a chance of knocking enemies back. Stupid ability, only take if you are going down to Lore

Pact of Earth Walking - Increases the magic damage of your pet and procs a heal on your group. The heal is for 66HP.

Lore of Skelos - I have only tried this in a build one time and the damage it adds is not enough for an end tier feat for me. Not to mention everything uses more mana.

General Tree (same for all mages)

Mage Blood - opening feat, Increases natural mana regen. not really worth taking unless you plan on progressing further down the tree.

Spiritual Armament - Increases your mitigation towards physical damage.

Mind Phase - reduces the amount of hate your attacks give. PVE feat, never used it but from what I'm told it works properly. Best thing to control hate is knowing how to manage your dps IMO.

Archmage - 10% extra on pots, not worth it for pvp and T3 raiders are better off with Spiritual Aegis.

Spiritual Aegis - Increases your mitigation towards magic damage. This one I take if I use the general tree. This offers a little more protection against sin bombs, bleeds from melee classes (which are considered magic), and obviously opposing casters.

Dark Meditation - Restores Mana and Stam. Restores ~12% every second for 10 seconds. OK in the long boss fights where stacking Ether Drain can become a problem.

Crimson Shield - increase your HP pool by adding health to your Protection of Set spell. Worthless. We have over 8000 HP...

Mystical Attunement - Increases your magic damage. Take it if you feat general tree.

Mirrored Iron - Gives your mage shield a reflective damage proc. Not worth taking

Quickened Iron - Makes the shield refresh every 15 seconds instead of every 22. Worth it in all group activities.

Purge - Anti CC. removes roots and snares and gives a short immunity. Signature Gen Tree feat

Malefic Chant - chance to proc a heal when you do damage. Great in Theory, never noticed it helping much at all. Not worth it IMO

To add some data on Malefic Chant:

I decided to test this with four points in Chant. Note that this only works for some attacks, not all. As I was using a Havok/Gen build, the only attacks that would count for this ability were Shock and Shockstrike.

In a series of attacks using these abilities with other attacks and others using only these spells, I noticed only a single instance of Malefic Chant activating. Estimating 1 in 40-50 attacks (spell activations of eligible spells), so it seems with 4 points in this ability, the probability of activation is about 2-4%. Healing received was a single 47 points.

Based on this, I would have to agree that this is not worth taking. The very low percentage of activation combined with the very low amount of healing received when it does activate translate to an ability that has little to no effective use in the game.

Misdirection - PVE feat that causes mobs to switch targets away from you.

Blood Hunger - reduces the cool down of your minion kill (Draw Forth the Heart). nice spell to have if you are a raider but there are way too many other things that need the points so I would say skip it.

Specter chant - chance to recover mana when doing damage with your spells. Waste of time. Skip it.

Unleashed Power - Worth the 2 points, makes SB the size of IoA and IoA bigger still.

Tome of Erlik - gives your group a buff that provides magic damage increase. Nice if you can afford the points, won't make or break any build.
    Last edited by Xenic; 2nd June 2013 at 22:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.

Gear –

So now you have your demo and you’re 80 and you want to just blow up everything and be king of the world. Only problem is you have no idea what to wear to your big date with destiny. Let me try to help out the best I can.

Stage 1: level 80 crafted cloth armor set and put in magic damage gems. This is the worst choice, but the cheapest and easiest to get and will do ok in pve encounters. This gear sucks in pvp, but you have to take your lumps and learn to kite.

Stage 2: Most people would say to get Culture gear, I say get a Lemurian Fire Stick.

Stage 3: Get your culture pieces to replace your steel silk level 80 stuff. If you find you are able to do what you need to in pve and aren’t raging in pvp with your steel silk, you can skip this step as it does require a pretty hefty investment of gold.

Stage 4/5: T1/T2 Pug raids. Learn to love them. Do them as much as you can tolerate them and work on your pve dps rotations. This will also allow you to build up relationships with other guilds (assuming you are a homeless poor little demo) and most importantly, build up AA points. As with the culture gear, if you feel up to it or just don’t want to do another Wing 1 or Yahk run, you can skip this and go right to the next stage.

Stage 4/5: Khitai. Get in every single 6 man instance as often as you can, even if they do not want to run godslayer mode. The blue gear that comes from these bosses is on par with the T1 gear that could take you months and months to get. The only reason I have this after T1/T2 is the fact that the 6 man instances are actually a lot tougher to do in godslayer than almost every T1/T2 raid. Mainly because you need AA points invested already (will discuss that in another section), and since you have only 6 people, you have less of a margin of error.

So ultimately you will end up with a nice mix of T1/T2 gear and Khitai gear and eventually some pvp gear as well. The pvp gear isn’t worth buying until you hit pvp 4. Then I would take 4 and 5 and you will notice a definite difference in your survivability.

Notice I didn’t list the pvp gear in there at any specific stage. I feel that if you intend on pvping, you should be doing it all the time, regardless of gear.

When it comes to weapons you will find that the FireStick will last you until you can get a T2 staff or T2 Dagger/Talisman.

**EDIT** The quest reward staff for killing Serruah is a nice option too. Also want to point out that the Necro weapons are better for Demo than the Demo weapons, with the exception of the Talisman.

**EDIT**
    These are also good options, and saves you from having to grind rares:
    Cloak from Vile of Nativity: http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...rows_spite.jpg
    Helm from Ardashir Fort: http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...putrescent.jpg

Most demos I've seen (including the one I have) go for the BB chest instead of the one from SC. If you look at the stats below from a DPS perspective, BB is better. You might be thinking that for fights where you can s/w and use Hand of Doom (auto-crit) that SC is superior since crit rating from BB is wasted - it isn't - SC's slightly higher damage is offset by its lower crit damage rating. I don't believe SC's higher prot or mana regen makes up for its rather odd distribution of stats (IMO it should have *much* higher crit damage rating).

SC chest:
    603 Armor
    377 Critigation Amount
    +384 Health
    +326 Mana
    +96 Stamina
    +9 Natural Mana Regen
    +2.4 Natural Stamina Regen
    +7.2 OOC Health Regen
    +7.2 OOC Stamina Regen
    +95 Magic Damage
    +54 Hit Rating
    +5 Critical Rating
    +60 Critical Damage Rating
    +50 Protection

BB chest:
    603 Armor
    377 Critigation Amount
    +416 Health
    +171 Mana
    +104 Stamina
    +3.99 Natural Mana Regen
    +2.6 Natural Stamina Regen
    +7.8 OOC Health Regen
    +7.8 OOC Stamina Regen
    +21.66 OOC Mana Regen
    +88.2 Magic Damage
    +55 Hit Rating
    +55 Critical Rating
    +66 Critical Damage Rating
    +28.5 Cold/Electrical/Fire Protection
    Last edited by Xenic; 4th June 2013 at 03:48.
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.

AA –

When I wrote this section originally, I didn't understand or know all of the ins and outs of the AA system. Now since it's been around for a few years, I feel I know it pretty well.

There are a lot of different builds that will work as far as AA’s go. Pretty much all of them work as intended and are ok but there are a lot of them that are definitely not worth the time it takes or the amount of points it takes to train them. I will try to guide you as to the better choices and which ones to get first.

The biggest thing to remember, ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TIME TRAINING!

General Tree:

Decisive Strikes is a must as it increases your crit chance. This is huge DPS increase. I take this for both PVE and PVP. For my second choice, I use either Field of War for PVP or Pressing Strikes for PVE. You can get away with Pressing for PVP as well if you choose, but I feel with the magic coefficients, nothing trumps magic damage.

Alternate back and forth until you have 5 points in each. Begin Time training on each of the wards (5 in total) again rotating. Make sure each ward has 1 point then go into 2nd point for each before 3rd . Each point basically gives you 1 % mitigation. I would stop after 1 point for now and then come back to them. If you have no intention of pvping, skip precise strikes and pick up Elusive Nature.

Once you have 5/5 for Decisive, Pressing, and Field of War, get your wards up to at least 3/5. By then you should already have a good amount of gear with Critigation, so start working on Elusive Nature. You get a bonus even if you don't slot it. Remember, dead Demo does no damage, so stay alive.

The CC resists sound good in theory, but with the sheer volume of CC's in the game, they should not be a priority. Yes you will want to feat them out, but they can wait.

Mage Tree: I personally think the mage tree isn’t all that great. Other than the CC Break, Ethereal Escape, there's nothing else there that gives you a significant boost. None the less, for pvp I take Transendence for PVP and Will of the Sublime for PVE.

6 man groups will want you to have unbinding charm but I would not feat it until I had everything else I wanted.

Demo Tree: There's a few ways to go here. First off, don't take any of the major AAs. They are not very good.

For PVE, 70% of your damage will come from Waves of Flames once you have the Ring of Fire AA maxed. This spell is also popular in pvp but is risky because of the close range.

Cachodemon pet hits harder than all the others and offers great bonuses.

Bindings of Skylord. This one is a beast. If you want the highest pure dps build you can find, you're going to go Ring of Fire and Bindings.

Renegotiation is a good option if you are going to feat all the way down on the LTB line on the Conflag tree because of the way the Pacts work. I would consider this one if I was running Conflag Gen.
    Last edited by Xenic; 6th March 2013 at 15:22.

Builds:

So everyone wants to know, what build should I use. Well here’s the thing, all demo builds will work. It’s just that some work better than others. A LOT better. When I made the first guide, the cool kids were all running hybrid builds because of the 2 instants and higher potential dps. A few of us ran tribrid builds and had great success. Others ran conflag / gen builds (still probably the toughest to pvp with), and the Easy mode guys who didn’t want to work ran Havoc / Gen builds.

So what’s changed. Well first off, remember that General tree in the our AA’s? 6 of the feats there improve your magic damage mitigation. Critigation was introduced. More opportunities to attain gear were given (6 man dungeons). Class revamps made other classes fixed a lot of things and made them stronger.

All this leads to a change in my philosophy towards my builds and gear selection. In the past, I would use mostly pve gear and run around with around 7k HP and 1200+ magic damage. I would be able to burn someone down fast, but I would melt. I would use pressing and decisive, will of the sublime and etheral escape, bindings and ring of fire. Very squishy and very high dps, a true glass cannon build.

Now I run around with 9k+ HP and around 1100 magic damage. I use full pvp gear and use field of war, Decisive, (sometimes chromatic if I need to), Etheral Escape, Transendence, Cacho, and Bindings. I keep my distance and mobility and sacrifice some damage in order to stay alive. I figure if I can stay alive an extra 10 seconds, that can be 3-4 more nukes (or more!)
    Last edited by Xenic; 6th March 2013 at 15:30.

Factions:
    You can belong to as many as you like as long as you don’t try to join rivals. I went Brittle Blade but would have probably liked Scarlet Circle better.

Scarlet Circle Demo gear drops

Helm - 196 Rare Trophies
    Chest - 196 Rare Trophies
    Legs - Yag
    Hands - Coppice
    Shoulders - Kang Pagoda
    wrists - 980 marks of acclaim
    boots - 980 marks of acclaim
    belt - Pillars of Heaven

Ring: Children of Yag-Kosha
    Necklace: Tamarin's Tigers
    Dagger: Tamarin's Tigers
    Cloak: Last Legion
    Staff: Last Legion
    Talisman: Hyrkanians

Brittle Blade set next

Weapons and Accessories:
    Cape - Last Legion Rank 4 - +124 Int, +34 hate Decrease, + 65 Crit Damage Rating
    Ring - Children of Yag-kosha - +118 Int, +100 mana, +55 Crit Rating, +52 Fatality Rating
    Talisman - Hyrkanians Rank 4 - +109 Int, +54 Crit Rating, +64 Crit Damage Rating, + 43 Magic Life Tap
    dagger - Tigers Rank 4 - +109 Int, +50 Hit Rating, + 55 Crit Rating, +54 Fatality Rating, + 18 Hate Decrease
    staff - Last Legion Rank 4 - +214 Int, +40 Hit Rating, +86 Crit Rating, +89 Magic Life Tap
    Necklace - Tigers Rank 4 - +123 int, +20 evade, + 38 Hit Rating, +64 Crit Damage Rating
    Potion - Yello Priests Rank 4 - +25 Int, +135 Crit Damage Rating
    Last edited by Xenic; 6th March 2013 at 15:33.

I decided to test this with four points in Chant. Note that this only works for some attacks, not all. As I was using a Havok/Gen build, the only attacks that would count for this ability were Shock and Shockstrike.

In a series of attacks using these abilities with other attacks and others using only these spells, I noticed only a single instance of Malefic Chant activating. Estimating 1 in 40-50 attacks (spell activations of eligible spells), so it seems with 4 points in this ability, the probability of activation is about 2-4%. Healing received was a single 47 points.

Based on this, I would have to agree that this is not worth taking. The very low percentage of activation combined with the very low amount of healing received when it does activate translate to an ability that has little to no effective use in the game.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Urzra; 1st June 2013 at 02:35.

Hi Xenic,

I have to disagree with you on Thunderclap for a pve application. It is a great spell in team environments as you can position yourself off to the side of the tanks and knockdown the mobs they are fighting. It does damage and buys a few rounds of non-damage for the tanks without knocking the mobs away from their attacks.
    But as far as PVP goes, yeah it is completely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Urzra View Post

Hope this helps.
    Added your thoughts.

It would be nice if this returned a % of healing per all magic damage, no matter the source.

These are also good options, and saves you from having to grind rares:
    Cloak from Vile of Nativity: http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...rows_spite.jpg
    Helm from Ardashir Fort: http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...putrescent.jpg

Most demos I've seen (including the one I have) go for the BB chest instead of the one from SC. If you look at the stats below from a DPS perspective, BB is better. You might be thinking that for fights where you can s/w and use Hand of Doom (auto-crit) that SC is superior since crit rating from BB is wasted - it isn't - SC's slightly higher damage is offset by its lower crit damage rating. I don't believe SC's higher prot or mana regen makes up for its rather odd distribution of stats (IMO it should have *much* higher crit damage rating).

SC chest:
    603 Armor
    377 Critigation Amount
    +384 Health
    +326 Mana
    +96 Stamina
    +9 Natural Mana Regen
    +2.4 Natural Stamina Regen
    +7.2 OOC Health Regen
    +7.2 OOC Stamina Regen
    +95 Magic Damage
    +54 Hit Rating
    +5 Critical Rating
    +60 Critical Damage Rating
    +50 Protection

BB chest:
    603 Armor
    377 Critigation Amount
    +416 Health
    +171 Mana
    +104 Stamina
    +3.99 Natural Mana Regen
    +2.6 Natural Stamina Regen
    +7.8 OOC Health Regen
    +7.8 OOC Stamina Regen
    +21.66 OOC Mana Regen
    +88.2 Magic Damage
    +55 Hit Rating
    +55 Critical Rating
    +66 Critical Damage Rating
    +28.5 Cold/Electrical/Fire Protection
    Last edited by Grizzly; 4th June 2013 at 03:36. Reason: Correcting drop locations of gear
    Malaise-DT, Tabixis-Guard, Cocobel-Sin, Elari-ToS (pvp 4), Orsela-PoM, Aarva-BS (pvp 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    Hand of Doom isn't like Death God, it's not up all the time so crit matters, and 6.8 magic damage doesn't. So BB is only choice for a demo really unless you want to look good with SC chest (which is a completely valid reason and one I understand)
    thats why sc chest is in my pomp slot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast