Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most enjoyable class for a soloing non-PvPer?

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post

It's more of a "pick your own poison" issue - dpsing a boss for several minutes gets boring whatever class you're playing
    While on tos, i keep passives up and do something on internet in mean time.

But for pvp, i go melee

I recommend to check out a few classes that look interesting to you and level them to 30.

Everyone has a different favorite class for different reasons, I usually heal considering I really -love- that but someone else would love to kill a bit quicker ^^

AoC classes are quite unique though, so please don't hesitate to try them!

Quote Originally Posted by Vonda View Post
    I mostly just want to level up 1-80 properly to see the world and its sights and do the occasional dungeon on the way.

Role doesn't matter too much, I've played everything from dps to healer to tank in various other MMO's. I do have somewhat of a preference for rogue-like characters or healers however.
    Groups for low-level dungeons used to be a bit difficult to come by, but that may be about to change thanks to Steam. In any case, for doing dungeons whilst levelling, I'd recommend rolling a healer over a rogue. Rogues don't bring anything to the table for those dungeons other than dps, so they compete for the dps slots with mages (this only changes with Khitai hard mode instances at level 80, many of which require specific rogue abilities).

As others have said, BS is the most engaging of the healer classes. It's melee, and it relies a lot on buffing, timing your abilities right to produce a good burst, etc. Don't be discouraged by the first 20 levels or so, where BS gameplay is rather dull in my view; by the time you're ready for the first group dungeon (Black Castle in Khopshef, in your early 30s), it will already be quite fun to play.

ToS is one of the easiest classes to level, as you can easily manage large pulls thanks to AoE damage, self-healing and AoE CC. I cannot comment on PoM; tried it a few times but never even managed to get out of Tortage due to boredom.

HoX was far and away the most fun to level, and I enjoy it a lot more in raids than my casters. I'm not an RPer, but they just feel like the most unique class in the game. I probably roared in vent a few times when I switched forms, kind of like how MrCorp reads words out loud as he's reading books, purely unintentional.

For soldiers, I liked the guard because you can play around with polearm or sword/board. It was easier to level than my DT (many many moons ago though).

Healers was PoM because it was my first character to hit 80, but I could see good arguments for either ToS (more DPSish) or BS (Way more complicated to play well).

I don't really like any of my rogues. I think they were all offline levelled (Ranger hung out at 19 prowling the Tyranny underhalls looking for RIP members and waiting for minis to pop a long, long time ago).

If you're new, Barbarians are probably the quintessential Age of Conan class: high damage, decent survivability, lots of options yet not too much micro-managing. They're a good way to learn the game's combat system while not risking your life too much. And they can use almost any weapon, which means you get to see almost all the fatalities.

If you find you're having trouble staying alive while you figure things out, try a soldier (conqueror, guardian, or dark templar) instead. If you don't find the complex "combo" system fun, check out a ranged priest (Priest of Mitra or ToS) or a ranged mage (demonologist or necromancer).

After trying them all to the mid levels, most to 80 (sometimes multiple times), I find the most fun classes to be:
    • Heralds of Xotli: Like Navin says, they are a fun, original concept. Cloth armor, slow combos, no anti-CC ... melee AoE?? It makes them really intense when played correctly (i.e., as an AoE class). The fact that you have multiple self-rezzes by 80 should indicate something to you. Fights last a few seconds and you either look like an idiot or like you're hacking. Just keep the caffeinated beverages handy and hold on tight.
    • Bear Shaman: If HoXes sound fun but you're the type to rage at the rez pad, you might try a BS instead, they're a unique concept too, and just as intense when played correctly (i.e., pull everything in sight and/or stuff way over your level and don't ever stop), but they get it done with heals instead of AoE. And if you ever do want to do a dungeon or two, you are more likely to get the invite with a BS than a HoX.

Both of those classes are definitely challenging to play well, but there isn't as much pressure if you're just leveling and solo.
    Last edited by Prima; 6th March 2013 at 23:37.

You can't go wrong with conqueror and barbarian. Those are my two favorite classes. Conqueror is the best DPS class among soldiers, though well geared and feated DTs can come close. There is a greater variety of viable PvE builds for conqerors.

Bear Shaman would be the priest equivalent. I tend to neglect mine. There's too much to keep track of in a team situation, where you have to simultaneously manage heals, several different kinds of click buffs and debuffs, and combo attacks. Given that MMOs try to make themselves hard by taxing your attention span, this is a bit much to ask.

I have a Tempest of Set in Tortage, and never have been tempted by Priest of Mitra.

Mage classes are not all that interesting to me. They're generally too squishy to solo too deeply in Khitai, so they're team oriented characters. If you played a blaster in City of Heroes or a warlock in WoW you've played the demonologist already. Necro is a pet class; I never even started one. HoX is a bit more interesting, but I find it rather hard to play.
    Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero, Pro Sexto Roscio
    ------
    Heraclea (conq)--Hippolyte (rgr)--Ursamaior (BS)--Turandot (demo)--Nhutruong (DT)--Grignette (barb)--Haboob (HoX)--Androctone (guard)--Almawt (sin)--Dysphemia (necro)
    讓我給你讀你的內臟

Personally speaking, I love the Conq, Barb, and PoM, however, if you're new to the game, I'd stay away from Conq until you get a better idea of the combat style and such. Conqs, Bears, and even Rangers can be tricky to learn if you're not sure how to play the game.

But solo leveling? Not the PoM. Granted I leveled mine a while ago, it was not an easy task, but I could have also been specced wrong for leveling too.

Generally speaking you'll want something somewhat durable but something that can also kill fast. Survivability and power in one.
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

My DT was fun to solo, it was easy to level up and so far it's had the least trouble doing Khitai or the solo instances. It's highly versatile being able to deliver good dps without sacrificing lots of survivability to do it, the health taps make a big difference on some fights. You do have to feat all of your ccs bar the 1 2 second stun that you get at lvl 40 but you'll find you don't need the ccs unless you get overly ambitious which I highly recommend at some stages as you level up as it's fun and you can see what you can do with your toon.

Hey. Vi read out loud for clarification. Besides that the tos is the best class. CCs, buffs, debuffs, heals, and very good dps. No other class offers that in pvp, pve or rp.

Bears are a bit tough for starting levels (buy the foods and use potions) but get more fun as you level up. They are also popular in groups, since Poms are FTP and tosses pretty common. For survivability, Bear>Pom>Tos...tos can take down the multiple mobs quicker via aoes but don't survive a mass pulling as well.

Bears get to hit things. And when you make lvl 80 you get the best fatality in the game: you hit them between their legs with a great big stick and pull off their little heads when they bend over.

Its great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast