Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most enjoyable class for a soloing non-PvPer?

Default Most enjoyable class for a soloing non-PvPer?

As the title says, I'm not exactly interested in PvP when it comes to AoC, atleast not for quite some time. I mostly just want to level up 1-80 properly to see the world and its sights and do the occasional dungeon on the way.

Role doesn't matter too much, I've played everything from dps to healer to tank in various other MMO's. I do have somewhat of a preference for rogue-like characters or healers however. My only previous AoC experience is leveling a 53 guardian at release and quitting shortly after hitting the E-something Mountains in Cimmeria due to lack of quests at the time. The only minor gain I have from that experience is that I have a gold or two to send to my new character, which isn't much.

Any insights on how different classes are to sololevel with (+ the occasional instance) would be greatly appreciated. Some early speccing-tips for various classes would be great as well if possible!

Thanks for your time!

dt-bs-hox-necro

dt-most fun tank and easy to dps as well(after obtaining vom perk)
    bs-most fun and enganging to play healer
    hox-most fun to play dps melee class
    necro-most versatile range dps class

you will need customized ui default one is horribad to play any of those classes
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

I've grabbed Stonerune and it's definitely much better than the default UI. Thanks for the suggestions!

The best, in my opinion, are melee classes with mana: D.T., B.S., H.o.X.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

ToS or any caster class is nice in pve.

Doing repetitive combos on static bosses gets boring after while imo

What do you define as enjoyable? For me it's the complexity, diversity and good burst damage - I like to be engaged with different skills and combos, while being able to quickly kill mobs. Having this mind (and your focus on solo-PvE), I have to say that:

1. Healers

Healers in AoC can pack a real punch, but PoM/ToS are quite dull when levelling (you just pew-pew with a limited range of spells) - it's extremely fun to play a high-level PoM though. ToS has some OP skills, but the dps is a bit more steady.

Bear Shaman is probably the most fun class to play through all levels since it's a melee healer. It's a bit hard to get used to his buffing mechanic, but it feels natural later on.

2. Mages

Demo and necro are quite dull (pew-pew-pew) - they only become fun when fighting much more powerful enemies, when you have to kite and use CCs.

HoX is very enjoyable because it mixes melee combat and spell-casting.

3. Soldiers

Conqueror and DT can become very enjoyable if you'll set them up for dps. Both of them can tank and deal damage comparable to other dps classes.

Conqueror is quite powerful almost from beginning. DT starts to shine around 40, but gets really powerful at 80 with special perks and gear. Guardian never becomes fun to play solo - has the worst dps of all classes and lacks any complexity.

4. Rogues

Barbarian is a cool class if you like a play with CCs - otherwise a Conqueror is a more interesting choice (same weapons, but more varied gameplay).

Assassin is a very simple class (only ~4 combos and ~3 miasmas) - gameplay will be very dull if you won't play on a PvP server.

Playing as ranger feels kinda stupid for me - you'll fire your arrows/bolts in melee range (everyone will charge you), unless you want to kite the mobs for RP reasons

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    ToS or any caster class is nice in pve.

Doing repetitive combos on static bosses gets boring after while imo
    It's more of a "pick your own poison" issue - dpsing a boss for several minutes gets boring whatever class you're playing

For me AoC experience is only complete when you're playing as a melee class. Also doing gives you an illusion you're doing something more than standing in place and pressing buttons
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 6th March 2013 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    Playing as ranger feels kinda stupid for me - you'll fire your arrows/bolts in melee range (everyone will charge you), unless you want to kite the mobs for RP reasons
    try to play like that in kk or paikang, and you'll see how often you die!!
    the proper way to play ranger as solo is to use cc's and avoid to be hit, 'cos if you stand in melee range, you'll go down very fast!!

of course, at low level you can switch to sword & shield and bring down some mobs that way, but that tactic becomes less and less effective as your level goes up...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    try to play like that in kk or paikang, and you'll see how often you die!!
    the proper way to play ranger as solo is to use cc's and avoid to be hit, 'cos if you stand in melee range, you'll go down very fast!!
    Somehow I wrote about this for demo and necro, but forgot in case of ranger. Overall, the combat becomes more fun in Khitai becuase of the challenge - but the whole levelling process will be just up, down, finisher, advantage, trap, up, down, finisher, up, down, finisher etc. bleh!

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    of course, at low level you can switch to sword & shield and bring down some mobs that way, but that tactic becomes less and less effective as your level goes up...
    Tell me about it After hitting 80, you will need very good gear to make melee combat not suck ass... but why if it's even more dull since you use only 1 combo

While i really enjoyed leveling my sin, it is my favorite class in the game, i would say the the classes that give the best impression of the game are Herald of Xotli, Bear Shaman and Dark Templar.

They are melee and they have a lot of stuff going on along with that. So there are real depth to the classes.

Conquerors are a lot of fun from the start as they are versatile in both dps and survivability.

But in the end it is really about what you like to do. If you have liked casters in other games, chances are you will enjoy casters here as well.
    My main alts:
    Cylien Assassin - Whirlwind of death. As in dies a LOT
    Scythie Conqueror - And Petal her mammoth
    Karalee Guardian - "My sergeant says an army marches on it's belly. But I ain't never seen that! "Shakes her head vigorously"

Shameless self promotion
    http://www.reverbnation.com/charkoalmusic

but the whole levelling process will be just up, down, finisher, advantage, trap, up, down, finisher, up, down, finisher etc. bleh!
    yes and no... you can always spice up things doing bigger pulls...
    and it wouldn't hurt to learn how to play the proper way even while leveling, 'cos it would make things easier when you approach khitai...

when i see rangers that stand still and keep shooting arrows in melee range, my 1st thought is always this....

Tell me about it After hitting 80, you will need very good gear to make melee combat not suck ass... but why if it's even more dull since you use only 1 combo
    for "low level" i mean up to lvl 30 (more or less), while basic combos are still decent...
    after that, melee is only useful for cc (cripple, shield bash and eventually immolation), or, if the mob is very low on health, for deft stabs (i like to use it that way, 'cos it triggers a fatality quite often!!)
    Last edited by Yawgmoth-VDN; 6th March 2013 at 11:20.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast