Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would hurry with old forums

Quote Originally Posted by SelfRez View Post
    Everytime i come from holiday back to work i erase all my 100-200 emails that has come while i was away. If some of them were important they will send them to me again or call. nuff said.
    For crying out loud if there is something important copy it .. otherwise DELETE!
    And how exactly do you know what will be important for you (ergo you´ll gonna search for it) in half a year? Or for someone else?

I´m gonna give you some other example here:
    On the TL forums, the most detailed discussion (at least at that time) about the rare gem craft recipes in Commoners District can be found on page 3+ out of 11 of a topic that initially had nothing to do with that ton of speculations, later hints and tactics at all ... now let me wish you good luck finding all this kind of info burried somewhere on the old forums and bringing it to the new ones within 4 months. You will need another 4 years and hundreds if not thousands of active forum users for this and even then it would be far from complete.
    Last edited by Argantes; 7th March 2013 at 09:46.

And you really think someone looking for such information will find it then? Especially someone new to the forum? Even with keyword search it is hard work finding such info among all that useless junk. You will just find it, if you already knew where it is to find.

You will help new ppl more when copying those information to the new forum in a clearly named thread for it.

What you wrote makes it even more important to not delete the old forums, so that old players (who as you said know where to look) can link and copy/paste important parts without rewriting and probably changing the context. And it gives new players a chance to reread old discussions without censorship and one-sided filters. You do not erase or change history...but you can sum it up (in the new forums) and quote when necessary (as links to the archived forum).

I doubt even the most enthusiastic funcom employee or players can decide what is important AND copy/paste it into the new forum in this time. Are you willing to do this (including translations) as fulltime? Are you sure you do remember everything important you read and even what you wrote? At best you have a memory or a nagging feeling that you once read a solution or a hint about a certain thing...giving you a clue where to look, when asked. But these things tend to get lost when you have to go through lots of topic in a limited time. Also what you decide "as not important" might become an important topic or reference for someone else in the future. Without the old content as reference archive it will make it harder for everyone.

Also, assuming you copy/paste the update logs and history from the old forums to the new. How can you ensure it is not moderated or changed to erase unpleasant memories? Often enough someone stated "it was all said in note xyz". Then you searched and read the actual note just to find out, that it was just a reference to a deleted or changed post....or mentioned in a page at the middle of a discussion, that got edited as well.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 7th March 2013 at 10:57.

Well then ppl will ask and a new discussion starts. It is not like there is that much useful stuff in the old forum. Most stuff is outdated and irrelevant for the game in its current status. All the links to yg are dead and need to be replaced anyway. New ppl will mostly find outdated info, dead links and complains of already fixed stuff.

There is really no need to link into the old forum. That little really useful stuff can copied over and thats it. And if something is really missing it is not gone. Ppl have it in their minds and still can answer if needed. Most discussions are still on tl anyway. Most things were discussed in both forum.

Ps: the update logs are already copied over by tarib.
    Last edited by Zatochi; 7th March 2013 at 11:27.

There we disagree. There is a lot of content in the old forums where motivated players put effort in (be it stories, guides, suggestions, bug reports, constructive discussions etc.). Of course we can copy and paste...but it is just common sense that 4 months are not enough, since the progress will be casual and triggered when a problem occurs. Active research and filtering is a lot of work (some players might do it, but then you are bound to end up with onesided info) and that is why i am still sure, that just keeping the archive for a really LONG time is the only valid and "least work for everyone" approach.

Of course it is possible to keep to the actual approach and put the workload on players shoulders. Also it IS possible to just discuss everything anew. But you are bound to miss old points and arguments and will get completely new (i predict huge) threads on certain topics about already "solved" issues.

I will stick to my opinion, that this is also very, very rude (especially since the alternative of just keeping the archives is really not hard to do). But this might be just a personal thing, since i rather put a link and let others read themselves, than repeat myself over and over and do the same work again and again..

Btw, the advanced search is still working on the old forums with old logins...so if you are looking for a specific thread, post etc. you can still do so (better than googling).

Kudos to those who actually have the time, patience and motivation to research and copy things over...i am not one of those though.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 7th March 2013 at 12:15.

I notice AO has forum posts going back to 2003, any plans on purging those forums and restarting? If not, why not?

How about these forums, as time goes by, any plans on purging posts older than say 6 months? If not, why not?

For AoC, you can never recreate those 5 years of discussion, it is the history of the game. It's 5 years of suggestions and input regarding the game, and is a gold mine of information if you treat it as such.

Don't you think the new game director could use the old forums as a resource when bouncing around new ideas for new game features. He could use it to see why Bori failed, concerns of murder system, PvE dungeons, etc..

those ideas he will find in TL forum too...

I'm just happy we didn't get TSW-esque forums .. the Web 2.0rreah version.

I can squeeze 2 pages side by side on my 24" screen there ..

I dislike posting exclusively negative remarks, because I feel it always comes off as ranting.

I'll make an exception in this case, because I want to bang my head against a wall due to the sheer thoughtlessness that resulted in the decision to keep the forum archives for a limited time only.

I'll put aside my subjective reasons for a moment and say this: It's and bad (and stupid) business decision.

a) You piss off the existing customer base, because you take away a piece of their history. They have tons of resources buried somewhere in that archive - too many to even recall untill they might need them.

b) You create a bad impression with new customers when they try and research something and find that nearly all of the links they find lead nowhere. It creates a strong impression that a game is dead and drives additional customers away. Too many people already think AoC is dead (albeit with very little to base that opinion on), so you really don't want to do anything to reinforce that.

Summed up, the hosting fees and bandwith costs for the old forum archives are not costs you should be cutting, unless you want to cut into future revenues.

The personal perspective is this:

I have over 50 AoC forum bookmarks and I regularly use a lot of them. But I am not going to spend several hours to repost all that information - mainly because I would like to do something fun with my spare time, because I've got enough work in my work time. I'll just loose my enjoyment in playing AoC quicker than I probably would otherwise. As much as I like it, I've got a life and can ultimately live without it ... after all it doesn't pay for MY bills.
    Last edited by Thandius-US; 8th March 2013 at 00:29.

Old forums are getting dusted for one reason alone: years of moderationg neglect (only really horrible stuff was being deleted, most trolling didn't) created a cesspool in those boards and Funcom, now that they started caring about AOC (not that it's a bad thing), want to get rid of proof of that shameful era.

Is it a pain in the ass? Absolutly.

But deleting that cesspool is less of a bad PR than keeping them.

At least I THINK that is the reason. Hard to imagine that "hosting" would be an issue in XXI century for publicly traded company :P
    Retired

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast