Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would hurry with old forums

This is correct, if there's anything you want, get it copied over. They won't be around forever.

I would like to know how big the old forums was.

But actually, Funcom never said that they will keep the old forum forever.

The july date is an insult and slap in the face for everyone who cared about helping, informing and keeping the community alive in the old forums. First you do funcoms work in creating faqs, bug reports, suggestions, workarounds and guides and then you are expected to do funcoms work again by browsing, copy&pasting and filtering through the old forums?

"No, thank you" from me

If you need money to pay for server space hosting, just say so and i will consider a donation or subbing one or two months more. Otherwise please just keep the forum archived for years (not months). Or at least make a survey after a reasonable time to see, if the majority of active players agrees to see the old forum go and they think enough has been copied to the new forum.

Don't get me wrong, i do welcome the merge and welcome the non-eu players in a shared forum, but i still miss a valid reason why the old forum contents have to disappear...
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 6th March 2013 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Argantes View Post
    oh, c´mon, srsly..
    +1

and stuff

4 months should be plenty of time to copy any threads/posts that are worth keeping over. There's no reason to keep them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Balacai View Post
    4 months should be plenty of time to copy any threads/posts that are worth keeping over. There's no reason to keep them forever.
    That's missing the point. Completely.

The forums are a mixture of stickied posts, ranting and transient rubbish and a historical discussion forum. You can NOT copy across entire discussion threads. There are still things I look up occasionally that are only MENTIONED in the forums in a discussion thread 10 messages in. That information is not something I can even begin to quantify and transfer.

The REAL value in those forums is not the stickied posts its the threads you don't know you need until you actually search for them.

These forums will *NEVER* get back the information in some of those threads and neither will the community. Back in the days when there were 1000's or even 10000's of people playing and posting, things were found out through sheer numbers. That will never happen again and that research, discussion and information will be lost forever and for what? It's a read only forum that will be used for reference/research and nothing else. Server overhead would be nothing these days. I have a hosting account with unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth and unlimited databases I pay $75 a year for. It's THAT cheap now.

THATS why people are complaining.

Buff

Quote Originally Posted by Buffarse View Post
    That's missing the point. Completely.

The forums are a mixture of stickied posts, ranting and transient rubbish and a historical discussion forum. You can NOT copy across entire discussion threads. There are still things I look up occasionally that are only MENTIONED in the forums in a discussion thread 10 messages in. That information is not something I can even begin to quantify and transfer.

The REAL value in those forums is not the stickied posts its the threads you don't know you need until you actually search for them.

These forums will *NEVER* get back the information in some of those threads and neither will the community. Back in the days when there were 1000's or even 10000's of people playing and posting, things were found out through sheer numbers. That will never happen again and that research, discussion and information will be lost forever and for what? It's a read only forum that will be used for reference/research and nothing else. Server overhead would be nothing these days. I have a hosting account with unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth and unlimited databases I pay $75 a year for. It's THAT cheap now.

THATS why people are complaining.

Buff
    Wow first post and already a complain. Why do you want to keep ancient feuds between people on the forums archived?

Because it´s a major part of the history of this game. It´s the last 4,5 years of discoveries and feedback, whine and joy, progress but regress as well. Some people call it memories.

Because it´s the background this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. But it will be needed on July 2nd, when all the links and references will be suddenly dead.

Because it´s a source of information that will be never restored again.
    Ever.
    Period.

Apart from the storage space and bandwidth I can´t see ANY reason why should it be shut down forever and Buff covered this area in his post already. Is it 75 bucks a year really that much, that it must be cut? And if so, put the archive (or archive access) on item store for 5 bucks and people will buy it.. I can guarantee that, because I will be the first of them to do so.

"This archive will be available until July 1st, 2013."

Funcom, how is it possible you cannot see the value of 5 years of input from player base. Its a great source of information for players (new and old), and also a great resource for you if you read it from time to time.

Everytime i come from holiday back to work i erase all my 100-200 emails that has come while i was away. If some of them were important they will send them to me again or call. nuff said.
    For crying out loud if there is something important copy it .. otherwise DELETE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast