Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanking with dps instead of hate

Default Tanking with dps instead of hate

Has any T4 guard tested using T4 heavy armor dps set for tanking compared to T4 full plate hate set? With a polearm A guard can do around 800-1K dps while tanking, I was just wondering If that generates stronger agro then a Guard doing 4-500 dps in full hate gear with lower dps. For a guard i have been debating what setup would generate the best agro..

1)S&B in T4 fullplate hate gear?
    2)S&B in T4 Heavy dps gear?
    3)polearm in T4 fullplate hate gear?
    4)polearm in T4 Heavy dps gear?

I don't have the gear to test with, but I know for a fact that S&B T4 hate set is great for starting out with agro(first min or so), but cant sustain it against a skilled T4 DT. What I am looking for is the best sustained dps tank setup that can trade agro with a good tali spec DT. Since new 6 mans and some raid encounters are generally a dps race Guards have been shunned for the most part and I am hoping there is some promise to a dps tank spec that can hand long term with the best DT's out there. If not tell me i am crazy and roll a DT.

You'll gain 1600 combat rating from the heavy armor set and lose 500 armor, 5,5% hate (the same as the difference between neutral and defensive stance) and 2500 health.

Trade all of that to gain 44 dps from combat rating, which would not scale with all the +% weapon damage modifiers you'll eventually get. Totally absolutely not worth it. Though, I would rather use Fearless or Indomitable belt and boots than the Courageous ones on any soldier.

tanking with hate and dps(crit) imo, i go straight for fearless soul
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

i miss the first dodgeball form ascendants

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeball View Post
    Has any T4 guard tested using T4 heavy armor dps set for tanking compared to T4 full plate hate set? With a polearm A guard can do around 800-1K dps while tanking, I was just wondering If that generates stronger agro then a Guard doing 4-500 dps in full hate gear with lower dps. For a guard i have been debating what setup would generate the best agro..

1)S&B in T4 fullplate hate gear?
    2)S&B in T4 Heavy dps gear?
    3)polearm in T4 fullplate hate gear?
    4)polearm in T4 Heavy dps gear?

I don't have the gear to test with, but I know for a fact that S&B T4 hate set is great for starting out with agro(first min or so), but cant sustain it against a skilled T4 DT. What I am looking for is the best sustained dps tank setup that can trade agro with a good tali spec DT. Since new 6 mans and some raid encounters are generally a dps race Guards have been shunned for the most part and I am hoping there is some promise to a dps tank spec that can hand long term with the best DT's out there. If not tell me i am crazy and roll a DT.
    I run full courageous in SB for tanking. Although it is fun with Indomitable gear and polearm, but that won't work in T4, its great for Zodiac though Lol, nearly out dps entire raid with a guardian. I don't have a single piece of Fearless. I use T3 for prot fights.

Best gear to use is all hate gear. Those new hate rings are awesome from the unchained dungeons. Guard adds a ton of buffs to the group, are also the strongest tank, so the idiots that think this class is worthless are on crack. I'll never claim to be the best guard though, Schou and Venom will always be.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    You'll gain 1600 combat rating from the heavy armor set and lose 500 armor, 5,5% hate (the same as the difference between neutral and defensive stance) and 2500 health.

Trade all of that to gain 44 dps from combat rating, which would not scale with all the +% weapon damage modifiers you'll eventually get. Totally absolutely not worth it. Though, I would rather use Fearless or Indomitable belt and boots than the Courageous ones on any soldier.
    Thanks, that helps a bit in determining what T4 set to choose. I really wish there was a way for guard to do 1.5K dps in defensive stance.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeevet View Post
    i miss the first dodgeball form ascendants
    I retired that ToS a long time ago, it comes out to play when I get bored of my Demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    I run full courageous in SB for tanking. Although it is fun with Indomitable gear and polearm, but that won't work in T4, its great for Zodiac though Lol, nearly out dps entire raid with a guardian. I don't have a single piece of Fearless. I use T3 for prot fights.

Best gear to use is all hate gear. Those new hate rings are awesome from the unchained dungeons. Guard adds a ton of buffs to the group, are also the strongest tank, so the idiots that think this class is worthless are on crack. I'll never claim to be the best guard though, Schou and Venom will always be.
    I dont think the guard is worthless, its just not as face roll as a DT is these days. I have no problem holding agro against any guard, me and Schou fine tuned it to death back in the day, its just not as fun to play as a DT bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeball View Post
    I dont think the guard is worthless, its just not as face roll as a DT is these days. I have no problem holding agro against any guard, me and Schou fine tuned it to death back in the day, its just not as fun to play as a DT bottom line.
    I don't think its worthless either. It depends on your view on it. I prefer to tank on my guard, just not week after week in T4. I have a DT also, yes it does more dps, but I'd still rather tank on my guard, no problem holding aggro on either.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I've recently done a few parses with my guard with full tigers, and T4 pole arm. I only did this on a straw dummy to see how high on the dps I could manage to get in frenzy.

I only did 1100 dps full tigers, and frenzy stance, I did 650 dps with a sword and shield spec, going back to T4/Last legion gear, in Defensive stance.

With only a 450 dps increase, and the fact that the 1100 dps was not in defensive stance. You have to ask yourself is it really worth the mitigation loss? Is it worth the loss of survive-ability? As I still have to do more testing with it in terms of aggro etc. At first glance it doesn't look promising.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast